New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Winchester falling block
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
A mate of mine has just recived some guns from his father. One is a falling block Winchester in 32WCF. It was made in 1878 (or there abouts!)Its not blued and is missing some parts(screws)The wood is cracking and has bits off it. Will wants to restore this rifle and get it shooting again. Could anyboby tell me if this is a 32/20?
Are parts available?
Black powder?
Could you shoot modern rounds through it?

He also has a Rem 700 in .17Rem, this round is next to useless here in the Northern Territory, what calibre could he rebarrel to?

Thanks
Bakes

Posts: 8037 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the Winchester was made in 1878? Sounds like a M1885 to me...perhaps just one of the patent dates is from the 1870's?

Anyway, the .32 WCF is indeed the .32-20 WCF. Brass is a bit hard to come by some times, but .25-20 WCF can be expanded up to work, if available. If in good working order, action is quite strong. Is NOT restricted to black powder.
Modern solid-head cases and about 80-110 gr or so cast bullets make for very nice little small game, close range varmint rifle. Be sure to slug your bore to confirm diameter before developing loads.

As to the Rem .17, bolt-face is the proper size for .221, .222, or .223 Remington. Personally, I'd go with the .223, as the magazine is also proper for it, and the brass is more easily available than either of the other two.

AC

[ 03-27-2003, 08:51: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply AC

Bakes

Posts: 8037 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
A mate of mine has just recived some guns from his father. One is a falling block Winchester in 32WCF. It was made in 1878 (or there abouts!)Its not blued and is missing some parts(screws)The wood is cracking and has bits off it. Will wants to restore this rifle and get it shooting again. Could anyboby tell me if this is a 32/20?
Are parts available?
Black powder?
Could you shoot modern rounds through it?

He also has a Rem 700 in .17Rem, this round is next to useless here in the Northern Territory, what calibre could he rebarrel to?

Thanks
Bakes

Bakes, this gun is probably NOT of 1878 vintage

BUT IF IT IS.... It's would be an original John Browning singleshot. It would be worth A LOT even in bad condition. Winchester bought him out, and of course the rest is history. Anyway, when they bought him out, it was because he was making this wonderful single shot that they bought into his operation. When they did this, they bought up his stock and maybe they stamped it Winchester. This could be/would be what you have it if is stamped 1878. But they retooled the gun slightly and then brought it out as the Winchester model 1885 Singleshot (what we call the Highwall and Lowwall today). I don't recall the details but you can read about it in John Campbells book on the singleshot. He is THE authority. You can also send the serial numbers etc, to Cody WY and the museum there, to get a letter of confirmation about your gun and what it's condition was when it left the factory, if it was ever returned for modification, was a special order etc.

As for brass etc. Go to www.buffaloarms.com find the phone number and call them. They have the brass and everything else. It is cheap at $17/100 or so, but their web prices are way out of date I think.

As for powder, you can shoot smokeless easily, though the gun was really born to shoot black powder and they work better that way (if only because they make more smoke). The action is strong enough to hold a .458 if you want. It was Winchesters test action for all cartridges into the middle 1900s. Again, read Campbells book.

Last, if you are going to attempt a restoration, there is one place that looks like it would be a lot of help. See http://www.winrest.com/. I have not used them personally, but they seem to be on the ball. If you wish to do it yourself, their website has a ton of good information. If you wish to replace screws, stocks, etc. There are people that can supply these, or any other parts. One such place is Ballard Rifles at http://www.ballardrifles.com. They make the finest reproductions of the Winchester singleshot currently available, though Meacham makes one that is just about equally fine. Both are parts interchangable with the original Win 1885.

This is one of the finest rifles ever made. Take good care of it, or find a good home for it. (like right here [Smile] ).

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brent, I'll take some photo's of it tonight and post them.

Bakes