THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Sourcing Replacement Custom Stock for Anschutz .222

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sourcing Replacement Custom Stock for Anschutz .222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This thread is a little like others on a similar subject, but I think this thread has a different flavour.

I have always like the .222 calibre.

Recently , I purchased a 20+ year old Anschutz in .222. The stock shows signs of the years of use, but certainly not abuse.

Have done a Google search on custom stocks, but have not found what I am after.

Can anyone recommmed rifle stock makers that could assist . Am seeking dark brown "walnut" Monte Carlo. On a couple of site that I have visited, the style that appeals is Monte Carlo "Fancy A , or AA".

Hoping for some leads.

BTW: am not into fancy chequering or etched woodwork.

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert ,
If the dents and scratches aren't so deep that they can't be raised with a wet cloth and iron and then sanded smooth why don't you refinish the original yourself ?
I'm in the process of doing my Sako .17 and have done a few previously . Quite satisfying to D.I.Y. and not hard to achieve a professional looking job . Happy to give you a few pointers if interested .
Also know of a guy in Perth that I think would refinish for you and does a good job .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip.

Not have done anything like this before, my main concern is not to stuff up the stock in the process of trying to improve it!!

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert ,
Remove the buttplate and swivel studs . Strip off the original finish with paint stripper and a paint scraper (don't worry it's fine) doing a small section at a time .Use an old toothbrush and stripper to get finish out of the checkering .
Replace the buttplate (important to avoid rounding edges) . Sand lightly with 400 wet and dry paper (use a sanding block and avoid checkering) and be careful around sharp edges .
Raise the dents by placing a thick folded wet rag over them and applying heat with an iron (a few times if necessary) .
Sand with progressively finer wet and dry paper until smooth and then with fine steel wool .
De - whisker a few times by wiping over with a wet rag , letting dry and then rubbing with steel wool .
Buy yourself a Birchwood Casy Tru Oil stock finish kit and follow the instructions . I prefer to thin the product a little with turps and apply multiple coats (maybe 20 or 30) with a soft cloth .
To reduce gloss you can polish with fine steel wool or use a rubbing compound .
Be careful and don't rush things and you're battling to stuff it up .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the further tips. Some time ago, I downloaded and saved a pdf , detailed instructions that Mulga had put on the AHN site ( or maybe elswhere) as to enhancing etc the stock on his Sako.

As usual, the irrepresible , master of most things mechanical with respect to rifles ( including buidling them and giving the expensive stocks great colour jobs) JB 747 , has also been of assistance.

In a perfect world, what I would like is to do the first stock , with someone looking over my shoulder ( in the same way that I wish to commence reloading) and from what I gather it is then a matter of taking the job slowly and methodically.

Similar comments I would have thought that would apply to reloading.