THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Legacy Sports Mauser Action , Anyone ever use them?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legacy Sports Mauser Action , Anyone ever use them?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Has anyone ever used or seen one of these actions?

I'm looking to build a new rifle in the next couple of months and would like to use a double square bridge mauser action for it. I've looked at the CZ's and they seem very nice, but I want a M70 style safety, so that will add about $250 to the price of the CZ.

The Legacy Sports model has what I'm looking for and the price doesn't seem to be too far out of line ($445).

Any comments on quality?

Thanks,
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
TC1:

If you do a search of my old posts, you will find pictures of the rifle I had built on one, as well as my comments on the Legacy. The Legacy actions are a little rough, but can be worked into a great rifle. Mine is a 7x64, as I bought it as a barreled action in that caliber. I was going to rebarrel to .280 Remington, but the barrel shot too well to mess with. In addition to stock work and smoothing the action, I had the receiver bridges recontoured to a semi-square bridge mauser configuration to take Warne rings.

E-mail me if you can not find the prior posts.

Dave

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Legacy markets the Howa line in N.America. Howa made rifles for Smith & Wesson (yes, they do make rifles) and also manufactured the Weatherby Vanguard. They are one of the few sources remaining for actions and barreled actions. If you want a really accurate rifle you'll probably have to get the action trued by a good smith. Still it's probably a good investment. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with two Legacy actions, one ended up being a 8x68S and the other a 7mm Dakota. They are probably a better action than given credit for. I also did not like the dovetail receiver cuts as supplied from the factory and had the receiver recontoured. As said above, they just need a little attention and polishing.

Micheal S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the Legacy mauser actions do not have all the features of the original 98. I am particularly concerned with the extractor. Can someone with one these actions verify if the extractor is self-locking?

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KurtC,
I have one and they are identical to a 98. Mine now has a half round half octagon barrel on it in 9.3X62.

-

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chic.

I had heard that one brand of the newer copies is making some budget-minded modifications, and I wasn't sure which one it was. Glad to hear it is not this one.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Mine now has a half round half octagon barrel on it in 9.3X62.

Mine is MINE!!!! It just happens to be in Chic's hands at the moment.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard is technically right. It is not in his name yet but will be when it is done. I started to build it for myself but made the mistake of discussing it with him while I was building the barrel and he talked me out of it. It would be hard to find a better home or a better friend to be getting it though.

So many of my dreams live in other peoples finished rifles, that have to go out my door to a new home and usually just when I start to get a relationship with it and it is finished and gleaming. Such is life I guess.

[ 10-20-2003, 23:15: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one also, but I purchased it from an importer in California about 3 years ago, before Legacy took over importation.

I am shooting my wildcat 375 in a 9.3X64 Brenneke case from this rifle.

I had to have both the trigger and safety worked on (minor) to get them to where I felt comfortable with them (trigger was rough, safety was binding).

I am very pleased with it over all.
I skipped using the integral bases (rings were too expensive) and went with Warne bases, which fit it just fine.

Mine is powder coated olive drab green, in a camo stock.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote