THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JBelk, does he need a PC to get back online?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know Jack's exact PC state? I know that he is down, saw that somewhere on here. I don't know what his needs are but I have an old pentium I computer laying around I could get working again and send out to him, or if he just needs a part I have a few extra laying around or could check with friends if I don't have it. (beauty of being in computers is that know lots of guys into them).

Just hate to see a guy miss out on all the fun because of these damn PC Gremlins.

Red

PS
I know that this isn't the computer forum. I figure that anybody who knows Jack's situation probably is in here.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Does anybody know Jack's exact PC state? <snip>

Just hate to see a guy miss out on all the fun because of these damn PC Gremlins.

Red

Great idea! *Somebody* send that man a computer -- right away!

I learned a lot from his posts!

Please, nobody tell him that we should be paying him to share his knowledge with us... [Big Grin]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, if that would help and he wouldn't be offended at a slow one I could get one ready and ship it off to him. I have a 333 in storage that just needs some software and change a couple of the drives and he would be all set.

I hear now that he has unreliable electricity and that is why he has continuous problems with the computer. That sucks.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
His computer is working. It occasionally bogs down on him. He denies it but I think it�s all the "adult material" web sites he goes to. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if it is unreliable electricity, he needs to get a UPS. that is an "uniteruptible power supply" the computer is plugged into the UPS which is(basically) a rechargable battery with a rectifier and the UPS is plugged into the wall.

This will protect his computer from dirty power and allow a controlled shut down in the event of a power failure.

Anything I can do for Mr. Belk, I often skim posts until I get to his reply.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Send him an email with a read receipt stamp on it! See if he opens it [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
low_tech,

If I had an extra one I would send it to him, but don't have one. In fact, Aside from my servers and network equipment I don't even have them on my PC's, mainly because the important apps run off the network so in event of power outage I don't lose the stuff. (backups hold it up till generator kicks on).

At home I have never used one, I just save real often. ;-)

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a UPS because, living in Berkeley, the power used to brown all the time. Dimm lights, etc. in particular at night.

That's what I get for living in a communist city...

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of pissing everyone off, do we really want to start another "Help Jack" campaign?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
low-tech--We here, wouldn't be without back up
power supplies.Another thing is we are in the country on a barb wire fence phone line, so to speak, we do all our work online with the pictures turned off.Makes system work 4 times faster.We have a couple of extra backup power supplies if that would help.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that there ever was a help jack campaign. Doesn't hurt my feeling or piss me off not wanting to start a campaign. I didn't want to start one either. i just thought that I personally might be able to help him out. Seems what I have wouldn't solve his problem anyways. I will see if I can close the thread but I don't think anybody that isn't a forum admin gets to, if it's still open after this you know it didn't work. :-)

Red