THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do for sling on rifle without studs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finished putting a pad on and refinishing my gramps rig I got from my Pop, and was wondering what to do for a sling, as the stock doesn't have sling studs. I know I could put them on quite simply, just wondering about other ways to skin the cat....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DEpends on the rifle! Look back at period catalogues and see what the options were when it was made.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are slings that you can use that don't have to have a solid attachment point. they go around the butt and barrel/forend if I remember right. I have seen them, don't like the way they look but they keep you from having to do any work on it. what is the rifle that you got? maybe it doesn't have swivels but there were period ones available that you could install.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the lack of intel on my part, the rifle is a really old Remington 721.

I'll look in a few of my books for ideas--or may just put sling swivel studs on her.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a few primitive rifles with primitive slings in VietNam. Most were pieces of rope or leather, tied around the grip and a loop that encircled the barrel. They were usually slung muzzle down. Functional at best.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Simplest and ugliest thing to do is get a piece of 3/4" or 1" webbing about 36" long. Tie or sew loops into both ends. Now slip the web through the loop to make a slipknot. Slide the first one over the barrel, and slip the second loop over the butt to the wrist of the stock. Snug up both ends and voila.

personally I'd mount some nice QD swivel bases. Get some decent ones and use care in mounting them and Gramps will look down and approve.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shotgun sling. It has a loop for the barrel and buttstock. Doesn't need swivels. Most sling companies make them. Here is one:

Shotgun Sling

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Barrel band front and slide on pad/cuff with a swivel attachment.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for the lack of intel on my part, the rifle is a really old Remington 721.

All of the 721's I have seen/handled had studs on them. I haven't seen all of the ones that were made, but it is common. IMHO, you can't hurt it by installing them.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I put studs on them. You can get something as simple as the Uncle Mikes brand or get fancier with inletted studs or even fancier and add a barrel band stud.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote