New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheyenne, WY Gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a model 70 375 that does not feed properly. In fact, it is pretty much a single shot. I have replaced the magazine spring, and had a new gunsmith look at it when I lived in Arizona, all to no avail. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Cheyenne area who might be able to help?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I don't know any in the Cheyenne area but if you don't find a really good one there ship it off to a real feeding expert, many are mentioned on
A R frequently.
Boxing up your rifle and sending it is not that big a deal, it ships back to you at home because you are already the owner. If in your shoes I would send it to a feeding expert.
I personnaly have never seen a M70 with feeding issues as severe as you describe, what is it doing exactly?
Do you have another M70 you can compare it to?
Is the follower/ spring in backwards?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Send member 'POP' a PM. He lives in Cheyenne, and if there is a gunsmith worth employing, he will know.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice George. I sent him a PM

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I don't know any in the Cheyenne area but if you don't find a really good one there ship it off to a real feeding expert, many are mentioned on
A R frequently.
Boxing up your rifle and sending it is not that big a deal, it ships back to you at home because you are already the owner. If in your shoes I would send it to a feeding expert.
I personnaly have never seen a M70 with feeding issues as severe as you describe, what is it doing exactly?
Do you have another M70 you can compare it to?
Is the follower/ spring in backwards?

I have a few other model 70s and, like you said, this is the only one I have seen with feeding issues. I had the rifle built in Houston, but was transferred to Phoenix prior to its completion. They sent the rifle to me and it did not feed properly. Like you, I thought it was probably something easy, so I took it to a young gunsmith in Phoenix who tried replacing both the spring and follower. This did not help much, and I was transferred to Guam shortly after, so all my rifles went into storage.

If I can't find a local guy I was thinking I would contact Jim Kobe and see if he can help.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
pm answered

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Hop over to www.24hourcampfire.com and go to their gunsmithing forum. A gunsmith who posts there as "Redneck" is a Model 70 expert who could help you. Personally, I've never dealt with or met the man, but I've read nothing but good things about him and his work. He's located in Wisconsin.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to PM Vapodog, he lives in wesern Nebraska around Mc Cook

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe and Redneck are great mod 70 smiths.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are starting out right asking for other peoples input but realize you still must contact the smith and get a feeling if he can even help you. also be aware that what they say they can do and how it turns out may be different for a variety of reasons, regardless of how other peoples opinions are of the work they had done. i had a feeding issue with a rifle once that i just couldn't figure out and sent it to dennis olsen who after a bit sent it back corrected. good luck with your search.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have a mauser barreled action by Dennis Olsen. The machine work that he did too make the rifle feed well looks great.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I do have a mauser barreled action by Dennis Olsen. The machine work that he did too make the rifle feed well looks great.

Of note: the barreled action Butch is referring to is a 458 Lott on a VZ-24. If feeds like greased lighting which is no small feat with the Lott in a Mauser.

Dennis is a magician.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote