New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 340 Problem
 Login/Join

posted
To All:
I acquired a Savage Model 340 in 222 Rem. It�s in very good condition and shoots extremely well, when it hasn�t been cleaned. That�s the problem, after cleaning the gun the accuracy is outrageous, after firing about thirty to forty rounds the groups shrink back to nice tight groups. And after to many rounds the accuracy drops off again, so I clean it and shoot the thirty to forty rounds to bring the accuracy back �so to speak�. Now I like shooting, but this is aggravating.
Any solutions to reversing this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
If it was my gun, I'd glass bed the action and recoil lug and float the barrel.......as I recall there was a barrel screw in that gun.......if so try to leave it out if possible.....

Clean the barrel with copper solvent and I mean vigorously........

This can't hurt anything.....see what happens.

There's no obvious reason for what you're telling us.....not to say it isn't true.....but the solution is not immediately evident based on the evidence.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some barrels have a lot of imperfections in the bore; until those imperfections are filled with (copper) fouling, they may not shoot well.

Stop cleaning the gun so often; it's telling you as much.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just how bad is bad, when the accuracy begins to fall off after your 30-40 rounds? Does it go to hell in a handbasket or does it just open up a bit and stay there?

Try dry patching it when this happens but avoid the solvent/brush routine and see what happens.

If accuracy stays at minute of critter, I'd leave it alone and just shoot it and accept it's foibles. If the gun will shoot nice groups at all....even for a period....the bedding is probably okay, otherwise it would never deliver the goods. Hell, find it a new home and get another.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts, I�ll put some of your ideas to work and see what happens, I have a hunch that it will probably be finding a new place to rest.
Just another excuse to get a new gun.
Thanks Much
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote