Find
Notify
Tools

Old antique SXS Stock question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted
I have found a old walnut stock that looks like it came off a XE grade AH Fox,its beautiful condition with super XXX figure and the checkering is incredible.
I don't have a XE grade fox to put it on,what is the value of a very nice 'BEST"stock like this?
Should I salvage it for another fine old Fox or try to refigure it to fit a sterlingworth or A Grade?
It has the English straight grip,can old walnut stocks like this be salvaged and turned down into another fit for a different shotgun?
I have never thought or read about this question before.
Is there a time limit on these woods where it just doesn't have the strength anymore because of age /drying and better left alone and not cut up or chiseled on for fear of splintering?
Since its a straight handle stock,I guess it could be shaped & fitted to a Winchester 30-30 fairly easy and since its old and worn out like lots of us here at AR forum it would look its best on a older antique gun so it wouldn't have that look..you know the look like putting brand new whitewalls on a old Dodge truck rotflmo

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Thanks thirdbite,I thought about that I just don't have any idea of the value.
What should a very nice stock like I describe be worth at the very lest if it actually did fit a XE grade Fox?
The rear of the action was swirly inletted not straight like most sxs box actions..it was just like the pic posted below.
My real problem is I liked it so much iam just trying to figure how I could keep it and put it on another old Fox SXS shotgun tu2

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/csmc/index/Fox/CE.jpg

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have an AE that needs a stock. If you'll let me see if it fits I may be interested in figuring out with you a value. Let me know.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-30 is not an option, it won't work without butchering it all to hell and then it would look like crap at best.

Somebody will want it..Toomany Tools is a good guy to do business with and completely trustworthy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote