Find
Notify
Tools

Who can CNC recontour a barrel???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I need some one to recontour a barrel on a CNC lathe. Any advise as to who might be able to to this for me. The barrel is a Lothar Walther. It is chambered in a 25 cal wildcat. Basically, the shank is too long for the stock I want to use.

The barrel contour, in its present configuration, takes an inside radius to a smaller diameter from the straight.
It then straight tapers to the muzzle. I want to move the inside radius back about 1 inch [which will leave a 1 inch straight shank instead of the present 2 inch straight shank] radius the diameter down to about .860" and then straight taper to about .575 at the 20" muzzle.

Any suggestions on who does CNC barrel recontouring and could handle this job?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify: there is nothing wrong with the way Lothar Walther contoured this barrel. The fault is mine in that when my 'smith assembled the rifle, I specified a shank dimension that was too long for the cartridge and stock configuration. Having realized me error in design and artistry, I need someone to help me correct it.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have your smith cut back and rethread chamber so you have a shorter shank. Or we can turn down the ouside for you. email me for info

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,
Are you talking about just continuing the barrel taper from the muzzle to the shank? If that does intersect at 1", you do not need CNC to do it. If a small radius is involved to get it at 1" you can still do it on a regular lathe.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,
The job you describe can be more easily done on a manual lathe with a mechanical copier or by a skilled operator manipulating the controls. To set up the CNC lathe to do a "one off" change like this takes way too long to set up and accomplish to be practical from a cost standpoint. I'm sure there are a bunch of West Coast gunsmiths who can do this for you. Maybe try John Ricks in Washington. It's a good hours work. Expect to pay reasonably for that. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your helpful advise. Woody Woodall of Lothar Walther saw my post and has graciously agreed to help. So I will send the barrel to him for a little reshaping.

Thanks,

Jordan