New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fleck-Stone camo job
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Took an ugly remington PSS stock and created this. It has a slight texture to it and appears it will hold up well as long as I don't loose it in the tall weeds.
Guess I will have to get going on an action an varmit barrel.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the method and what is the product used.

Thanks

Jeff

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, the produck used is the two taller cans of Fleck-coat, but first you need to consume 4 of the double shot Baily's heated in the mirco, Note: forget the coffee, just delutes things. This will get your feeble mind to wandering, then grab the stock, some masking tape and go at it.
I gave it a base coat of krylon flat red and then went wild dancing with the brown tone Fleck and topped it off with the green tone Fleck.
I did my varmit call in this a couple years ago and was looking at it when I consumed the Baily's and an idea was born.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did mine that way. week and a half of metal treestnads and it is holding up fine. I laid down a coat of black then misted the fleckstone on, makes it a bit darker. Looks like a $150 dollar paint job, not slippery with gloves on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, blueprinted, wasn't the stock already Black?
I've still got some Fleck left, hard to tell what's next to get camoed, looking around the office as I type clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Plastic Coat after several shots of JW gold last summer on the patio furniture. Furniture looks good but the neighbors cat doesn't!

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Need to get serious now. Want to do something with the wood stock on my Interarms Mini-Mark X. It is just plain chocolate ugly with checking. Any ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I am not real sure about this stuff on wood.I sprayed my varmit call which is on a wood base,8X16" and it has been through some rough treatment and still looks good. I didn't prep the wood just Baily's and spray.
Look at it this way, if ya screw it up, I would be interested in the barreled action Big Grin
I haven't been in the paint section for a while so maybe there are more colors available than just the green and brown.

If you decide to try it, make sure to use light coats and give it plenty of drying time between coats and a good couple of weeks curing before use.
Good luck and awaiting pictures

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my McMillan with Fleck-Stone paint. I thoroughly degreased the stock and sanded it with 80 grit, primed it with gray lacquer primer, scuffed the primer with 220 grit and applied two light coats of the Fleck-Stone to achieve the desired look. Allow sufficient drying time between coats. I let mine sit for a couple of days before clear coating it. That was necessary, since the Fleck-Stone didn't seem impervious to moisture.

It's has held up very well over the past few years of hard hunting. I've noticed a couple of spots that have been chipped, but thats easy to fix. I just spray the Fleck-Stone onto a piece of cardboard and dab it onto the stock with the frayed end of a bookmatch, and then spot it with a little clear again.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jimmy, amazing what can come from a few drinks. cheers

Hey, you didnt call back. I was sitting here beside the phone waiting.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, after I read your requested e-mail opinion, it left me totally "speechless" rotflmo

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I did one about 4 yrs ago. It's a neat idea.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, now that is a great looking job. You have to cough up the how to, on the dark green color.
I really like the sandstone effect but your color has got me to thinking what needs painting around here. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
BINGO*********

One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
jimmy

Great post. You've inspired me to give this a try. That stock looks very nice. Curious though as to why the base coat of red first? Wouldnt just a few coats of Fleck-Stone suffice with same final appearance?

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.

Posts: 25 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 30 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
379, I'm not really sure as to why I used the flat red, one reason was I couldn't get this damn can to do anything but spray upside down Big Grin

I really think it will work just sprayed on the stock after de-greasing the stock. As I have said, allow plenty of drying time between coats. Be sure and post a picture of how it turns out.

One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
LOL Big Grin

Final question: Any special de-greaser? Or just whatever is in the garage?

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I have a birch stock that I painted with Krylon years ago in a woodland motif. That worked out pretty well with just an occasional touch up over time.

Next on the agenda is doing an AR-15 butt stock and DPMS free float tube in Fleckstone similar to your stock. Hopefully it'll turn out as good thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any special de-greaser?

There are commercial degreasers available, but I just use DuPont 3812 fast drying synthetic enamel reducer. Wipe the stock clean with a clean rag wetted with 3812 and wipe dry with a clean dry rag. That's what we used in the body shop before painting. For base coat, I used a gray primer since my stock was going to be mostly gray in appearance. That way it required only two light coats of the Fleck Stone to obtain the desired finish. Too much paint is a bad thing. The thicker the paint, the easier it chips off. If you want a reddish cast, use red oxide primer. If you are looking for another hue, a light coat of that color of paint over the primer will get you there faster, without adding excess mil thickness to the finish.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
thumb

Good info and tips. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smooth surface of many synthetic stocks leaves them slippery. The few I have painted were primed with a Rustoleum acrylic resin primer sold as Professional Anti-Slip textured coating. It is in a grey rattle can. It sprays on clear, sticks to most anything and produces a nice textured finish. Top coat with your choice. I have used thin coats of Krylon Fusion, but the Flex Stone looks much better. Try the acrylic resin textured stuff for a primer, it works great.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote