Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Well what did you expect Roll Eyes

Posts: 6489 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when are you going to start offering the match grade ones?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I didn't know E.R.Shaw was for sale...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I didn't know E.R.Shaw was for sale...

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laugh all you want, many fine Pennsylvania rifles had barrels rifled by equipment just like that. Ever see the video of John Bivins building a rifle totally by hand while he was the gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg? Amazing!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you do a 1:8" twist?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is that gear looking thing stuck in the top of the tree stump used for?

I actually think it is a pretty cool photo...amazing what a man can do with his hands and a few basic home made tools......this/my generation would need CNC machaine to do anything.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

I'm assuming it's for forging/working round stock. It's actually a square block, with different sizes of 1/2 round cutouts on the sides.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster

I was not aware that John Bivins was ever at Williamsburg. That program was started by Wallace Gusler, and he did a very nice video building a complete flintlock from raw iron/brass and wood. They have several smiths now, and continue to build guns with basic vintage hand tools and to do demonstrations. This link discusses their program:

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/Autumn00/gunsmith.cfm

The tape is well worth viewing for those interested in the history of metal working and gunbuilding

Roger

Here is the link to that video: http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/store...612&catgroupId=16230

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
richj, looks like you took it right out of "Foxfire 5". Nice job.

Tailgunner got it. The block on the stump, is a sweaging blockm to be used with different matching hand held tooles struck by a large hammer.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Now I see why they don't let you in the back very often.

animal

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In line with Hog Killer's post:

It's called a swage block, for forging different diameters and "stepping down" from a larger to smaller diameter. It also has through-holes of different diameters/shapes to size stock; that's about a mid-sized one.

I'm surprised there is only one guide supporting/indexing the spiraled piece on the bench.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
Craigster

I was not aware that John Bivins was ever at Williamsburg. That program was started by Wallace Gusler, and he did a very nice video building a complete flintlock from raw iron/brass and wood. They have several smiths now, and continue to build guns with basic vintage hand tools and to do demonstrations. This link discusses their program:

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/Autumn00/gunsmith.cfm

The tape is well worth viewing for those interested in the history of metal working and gunbuilding

Roger

Here is the link to that video: http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/store...612&catgroupId=16230

I do believe you're right Roger. The video is the one I was talking about. Don't know how I came up with John Bivins, brain fart or CRS more than likely.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Well, guess you could say we've come a long way. It's a fantastic piece of history, and i enjoyed the picture...Thank you, for it.
Now the tape sounds interesting, but like the barrel machine, isnt the VHS like the old eight track, bewildered would like to see it in a DVD.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a display like that somewhere in Ohio. At least I think that is where it was.

Also my Uncle has been making muzzle loading barrels using a rifling set up like that for about 20 years. The twist he uses is always for round balls. I have one of his barrels in my shop that is for a pistol. Someday I am going to make something with it. Thanks for the photo, brings back some great memories.

Michael