Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble Boresighting Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Just bougth a new to me Ruger MkII left handed rifle in 300win mag. (Used rifle bought as is. No chance to return) Can't get a scope bore sighted. Cant get enought vertical adjusment.
It is like the front ring is too high. Tried two different sets of ruger rings with the same results. I put this scope on another rifle and no problem.
Any suggestions on fixing this?

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have the right rings for this rifle?
Ruger #1 rings will not work.

Are the ring positioned at the right location?
The for a 77 you have a tall ring and a short ring. The tall ring goes on the rear bridge.

Are you sure the rings you have are a properly matches set? eg one is not a 77 ring mixed with a #1 ring?

If all the above does not answer your question you may have a crooked barrel or the barrel threads in the the receiver are crooked. If so you may be able to cope with the problem by using a set of the discontinued Burris Signature rings with the eccentric inserts.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if I have an appropriate set. One set was a set from a number 1 and the other I dont know.
Sounds like I need to get a set of rings I know is for a M77.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rings for a NO. 1 are of equal height, both front and rear if you will. M77 requires the rear ring to be of greater height to properly align. Place a straight edge across the top of the receiver and the difference in height can be see readily.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats it guys. I have the wrong set of rings.
Thanks