New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre '64 30-06 to 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen: I just finished 25 pages of "pre-64" postings, but I am left with a question. Suppose I had a good 30-06 pre'64 action only and had all the parts for the 375 (follower, mag box, etc.) would this be a good conversion? I realize there will be modifications needed to the ejection port and so on. $750 action plus $100 in parts is much better (and easier to obtain) than $1750 for a beater 375...What am I missing?? Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of experience with pre 64 Winchester model 70's and have owned at least 3 of them in 375 H&H. It requires a fair amount of machining to open the standard 30-06 to 375.

$750 will usually buy a complete H&Hlength pre 64 action or one missing the follower and magazine box and bottom metal.

The H&H action is exactly the same as the 30-06 except the top of the rear bridge is contoured back, which requires the front hole on the rear bridge to be drilled further back. The rear of the front receiver ring has a notch for the bullet tip. The bolt face needs opened up and the extractor hook needs cut back. The magazine well opening is milled open to the front. I don't have any books or guns with me right now as I am not at home to give specifications.

It is a big job and Mr Bolt Action himself, Frank DeHaas recommends against it.
As an added note the rails are not any different than 30-06 rails.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote