THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Blackening, Bluing and/or Staining stainless steel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackening, Bluing and/or Staining stainless steel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did a search on this forum and have determined that blackening, bluing or staining of stainless steel can and is done.

One of the vendors or companies that does this is PacNor. What other companies and gunsmiths "blue" stainless steel?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
let's talk..
1: stainless can not be "blued" in the ordinary sense.... blueing or blacking is RUSTING or a chemical interaction

2:stainless can be "blued" with special salts from brownels, but i haev no first had experience with it

3: it can be PAINTED ( call it coated) with various things, teflon and gungoat to name two

4: is CAN be blued, in a normal sense, if you electroc plate it with copper, then run it through a hot salts bath... this is how winnie did the pre64 264s stainless barrels. This is a elementray process, but the tanks and baths required put it out of the reach of most people.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Robar Roguard externals and NP3 internals. Anything else is junk. See this post: http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008575#000000

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe and John-

Thank you for your comments.

For the application I have in mind, I think I am set on the Black Rogard/NP3 combination.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The plating house we use for black ox, anodize,nickel boron etc. just came out with a black ox process for stainless. Both 400 and 300 sreies. A sample section of 416 barrel stub came back looking just great. Not nearly as pricey as you might think. $100 will do a lot of about 7 or 8 barrels. 33" diagonally in the tank is the size limit. They also can plug off the ends so as not to get it in the bore.

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote