Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Echols stock on a Pre-64?
 Login/Join

posted
Will an Echols fiberglass stock work on a Winchester Pre-64 action? I thought I remembered someone posting a picture of their Pre-64 in an Echols stock, but I cannot find the image. Have any of you done this or do you have any experience with it?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be inletted for the pre-64.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you have to order it that way. This is so the reciever can be inletted further back (putting the trigger in the right place). I posted a pic of my rifle a while back; I remember the tread title was "my new custom model 70 300 magnum", if you want to search.

I like the stock VERY much. Here is why I like it:

1. It has a full, hand filling fore arm (I pull back firmly when I shoot and hate skimpy forearms)

2. It has a very high "heel" (for prone shooting a high heel is a must).

3. It has a hand filling, and not too swept back pistol grip (I also pull back with my trigger hand, and dislike rifle stocks that try to mimick the pistol grip on an English shotgun.

4. The checkering is excellant.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Can you tell me about the paint job on your Echols stock.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just rattle canned it. The paint was Rust-oleum "American Accents" and the color "Espresso"

It is a great color...it is about the darkest brown out there. I went to many hardware stores to find a dark brown.