New
Find
Notify
Tools

chrome or nickel plating rifle parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to finish up a build with an SMLE No.4 action. As usual, the bolt has "military clearance", that is, rattly loose as it slides back and forth in the receiver.

I'd like to take up some of the clearance. A plating of .001-.0015" thickness would tighten things up nicely. I don't care if it's shiny or dull, chrome or nickel, as long as it's in the right thickness range and doesn't change the strength of the underlying metal.

Has anyone dealt with a plater who will do single pieces and doesn't mind gun parts? It's just a bolt, no FFL stuff would be involved.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chrome is commonly used to build up worn shafts so that's what you want for your bolt.Make sure you specify HARD chrome.
For nickel specify ELECTROLESS nickel .That's also a harder type.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRX:
I'm trying to finish up a build with an SMLE No.4 action. As usual, the bolt has "military clearance", that is, rattly loose as it slides back and forth in the receiver.

I'd like to take up some of the clearance. A plating of .001-.0015" thickness would tighten things up nicely. I don't care if it's shiny or dull, chrome or nickel, as long as it's in the right thickness range and doesn't change the strength of the underlying metal.

Has anyone dealt with a plater who will do single pieces and doesn't mind gun parts? It's just a bolt, no FFL stuff would be involved.

Put a cross screw through the rear sight ears and put a little tension on it.
You might want to read up on the dangers of hydrogen embrittlement and stress corrosion cracking. Some of this can happen when you plate heat treated steels.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:
Originally posted by TRX:

Put a cross screw through the rear sight ears and put a little tension on it.
You might want to read up on the dangers of hydrogen embrittlement and stress corrosion cracking. Some of this can happen when you plate heat treated steels.

Just ask for a post plate bake, 3 hours at 200 degrees C will do it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SR4759, Hydrogen embrittlement can occur as a result of plating hardened steel.As mentioned post plating heating will correct this.
Stress corrosion cracking is a different thing. That you get on cases that haven't been annealed at the neck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it for what it is. If you close tolerances down to one thou you will bind
up some day. It was made to work under bad
conditions.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Electroless nickel is the way to go. It is a chemical process and you can specify plating thickness up to .001". It is more corrosion resistant than hard chrome. I've used it in several projects.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Polycoatings of the south is who we use for electroles nickel and you can get it very thick!!! Add teflon and it becomes polyon and it is very tough. We have molds with millions of cycles and it is still on

http://www.polycoatingssouth.com/

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought is a Nickel Boron coating. In the trade it is called EXO/Failsafe. It goes on thin, and is especially good for moving parts. It is used on AR-15/M-16 bolts/bolt carriers, hammers, triggers, barrel extensions and upper and lower receivers. Grime and carbon from full auto, suppressed shooting wipes away with formula 409, or Windex and a paper towel/shop rag.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Robbie Barkman of Robar in Phonix, AZ does that sort of thing all the time. His NP-3 finish is probably just what you are looking for.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote