Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the gunsmiths
 Login/Join

posted
On a long action, push feed Winchester M70, what would be required to re-chamber from 270 Win, to 7x57 Mauser?

Is it as simple as switching the barrel or are there other changes needed as well?

(no need for a how to, I'm just wondering about the basics involved)

Thanks for your help.
Rob

Posts: 734 | Location: Concord, NH | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Should be a swap the barrel and go.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob

First you said "re-chamber" and then you said "switching the barrel". Two different things.

But if you mean replacing the barrel, then Paul K is correct.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cheechako - The rifle is currently a 270 and I want it chambered in 7x57 Mauser. I ASSUMED a new barrel was the best way to go. Am I mistaken?

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, as the 7x57 is .284" bore and larger than the .277" 270WCF barrel, you need a 7mm barrel.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone would rebore the .277" barrel and rerifle to .284, it's just too close. A rebarrel would the same price or possibly a little cheaper.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't take anything more than a new barrel.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I figured that was all I needed. Thanks for confirming.

Rob

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Sorry I am no gunsmith but I am an avid customer of gunsmiths so I feel compelled to add that the simple "new barrel" is the beginning of the fun. If you have your smith install a new barrel then you need to decide are you also getting the boltface squared? are you going to have the threads chased and action squared up? what about reblue the whole thing? no better time to change the shape of that bolt, maybe do a speedlock kit to cut down lock time, while he has it out of the stock how is that trigger? and if it is out of the stock better check the bedding while your at it.

Trust me a new barrel may be only the beginning!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Snellstorm -

Well, actually, the rifle is at the smith's already having a new stock made. The new barel and change in chambering is just new work I've decided to add onto the project. It's already going to get re-blued, action bedded etc. No other action work will be done at the moment though. I've just about hit the end of my financial rope for now....

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem is that you end up putting 2-3 times the value of the rifle into a push feed model 70. Buying a new rifle in the caliber you want and selling yours is a far better choice IMO. If you were doing the work on a control feed rifle you'd have a much more desirable "custom rifle".

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24 - I understand what you're saying. And even took that into consideration before I began the project. In fact I have a M70 Classic Featherweight in 270 that I considered for the project. But that was a gift from Dad and I want to leave it as is. So I found this rifle at a good price and it became the donor for my custom. I'm not looking for anything but a custom rifle I want. The "value" of the rifle as a finished product is irrelevant (to me).

Like I said, I bought the rifle specifically for this purpose. It turned out to be a good shooting 270, but since I already have a 270 and wanted something different, off comes the barrel in exchange for a 7x57. I'll probably end up with well over $2000 into this rifle when it's complete...all for a rifle, that if left bone stock is only worth about $400 on the used market (around here). But it's going to be worth plenty more than that to me. It's all relative...

Rob

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Rob,
no need to justify around here I think most of us understand that economics are one of the lowest considerations when getting what you want in a rifle is the number one on your list.
Whether most people believe it or not usually no matter what you start with you will be upside down when the project is complete if you are paying someone to do the work for you.
Yeah I'll get flamed for it but it is true, the used customized gun market is and always has been soft so don't worry about it get and pay for what you want and just keep it and shoot it.
My opinion may differ slightly from the mainstream on this forum.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom - Not really trying to justify it. Just an explanation.

And speaking of customs and their "value"...Many years ago, my Dad had a custom made from a Springfield 03A3, it too was chambered in 7x57. He was never really happy with how it shot and in a fit sold it for about 30% of what it cost him. My brother, who was just getting into hunting at the time and spent many nights at the gunsmith's (a friend of Dad's) with my father, was just broken hearted. He loved that rifle. Well, last year at this time, that brother, my father and I were in a gun shop near Dad's house (we were home visiting for the holidays) and what did we find? His custom 03A3 for sale on the used rack for just a bit more than he'd sold it off for 15 or so years earlier. As soon as my brother saw it, he HAD to have it. So after much prodding and borrowing the money from Dad, my brother is now the proud owner of that very same 03A3. It won't part ways from our family again, I can assure you of that. Sometimes the value is purely sentimental.

Rob

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Rob:

I love stories like that of your dad's 03A3 coming home to roost. A major part of the appeal of the few custom rifles that I have is that they were built by a close friend and engraved by another friend.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote