Find
Notify
Tools

ER Shaw... too slow.
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Idared:

Shaw's "exact" 700 replacement barrels are not exactly what I would call exact. I've ordered a few in the past and found that they tend to leave more barrel cylinder than the actual 700 barrel and, at least one, seemed a touch thinner about halfway down the barrel that the actual 700.

I think they offer these barrels for the dollar conscious sportsmen (not target shooter) who wants to try to improve on the hammer forged factory barrel. This allows them to re-use their original stock (subject to the items noted above), as they may not be interested in messing around with a new stock or doing a lot of inletting (recall that most other after market barrels have a lot more barrel cylinder than the standard 700). I think Shaw generally fits this niche quite nicely.

Just my 2 cents...

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAC-NOR barrels are great and depending on the time of year, they can get out fast. Sometimes you get lucky with a week or so. The earlier Shaw talk and 6 months or so is crazy. I have made barrels when I worked at PAC-NOR. Any mfg process has its bottlenecks. I can't see how it would be 6 months unless they really have that much work in front of them, which I doubt. My guess is their contouring process is not up to date with their orders. Could be wrong. Do they make them, or does another shop?

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idared:
[QB]Terry

If I may be so bold as to ask, "What made you decide to order a barrel from E.R. Shaw to begin with?" Was it price, quality, delivery time, you merely wanted to try one, or something else? I am not trying to be a smart aleck but really am curious why you did order it, since most people seem to have a very good reason why they order the make of barrel they do.

In answer to your question, it was all the above. I just thought I would give them a try and see what happens. I did, and did find out they still can't deliver as promised.

[ 09-10-2003, 23:57: Message edited by: Terry Blauwkamp ]

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not read all 43 or so of the posts but if you don't have it yet and you haven't been charged, I'd kill the order and go back to Square One and learn the lesson. Then I'd call Krieger.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I did not read all 43 or so of the posts but if you don't have it yet and you haven't been charged, I'd kill the order and go back to Square One and learn the lesson. Then I'd call Krieger.

I posted earlier tht I did cancel the Shaw, and ordered a Walther.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got my Walther Barrel today.

When ordered, he said 4 to 6 weeks, and got it at 5 weeks and 2 days.

Now, that's more like it.

The workmanship looks oustanding, if it shoots as well as it looks, I have it made.

( I have two others that Do shoot that well).

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm laughing a bit here....for those of you that have never seen one of Mr. Kobe's custom guns, they're magnificient works of art. He's extremely meticulous and I assure you, no matter who you are, you'd be very proud to own one of his guns.....I have known about his dislike for Shaw for many years and it's because of extremely high standards.

I've used Shaw for a .30-06, a .300 Win Mag, a .222, and a .223 with no complaints at all. The bores don't shine like my Shilens or my Douglas XX grade barrels but they do bring home the bacon.

I spend so much time on a custom rifle however that the savings on the Shaw just isn't warranted....so I rarely use them any more....Mostly Douglas today.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote