New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting a HOWA trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Howa's trigger has way too much travel before breaking.

If I adjust it where I want it, then the safety will not work.

Seems they have built in a device that prevents the safety from being moved from fire to safe when the trigger is adjusted.

Any suggestions?

Does Timney make a HOWA trigger?

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney does make a trigger that will fit. It is the same trigger that fits the weatherby vanguard.
I have used one and they work great! Raghorn

Posts: 196 | Location: Ms. | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, other than the trigger, how does the Howa shoot? I was thinking about one in 308 varmint style/

Thanks, Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry

After a bit, (quite a bit) of tickering and rebedding, it shoots just fine.

Biggest problem was that the forend pressure was too great, and I ended up rasping out the barrel channel, AND raising the action up .030 with a shim under/and right behind the recoil lug. Then glassed it all in properly.

Now shoot jsut fine.

We have two others, that shot moa right out of the box.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
My Howa's trigger has way too much travel before breaking.

If I adjust it where I want it, then the safety will not work.

Seems they have built in a device that prevents the safety from being moved from fire to safe when the trigger is adjusted.

Any suggestions?

Does Timney make a HOWA trigger?

As you probably noticed, there's two adjusting screws on a Howa trigger. The front trigger adjusts pull weight, the rear adjusts sear engagement (travel or creep). Did you just back off the trigger weight? You probably need to set the weight wehre you want it, then start screwing in the sear engagement until you can get the safety to work right and the firing pin won't fall under any circumstances unless you pull the trigger.

I personally left the tiny bit of creep alone, as it was suggested to me not to mess with sear engagement, and reduced the pull weight to 2.8 lbs. BTW, mine shot OK from the factory with the cheap plastic stock. Once I broke the barrel in and installed the rifle in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, the thing shoots like a house on fire. I'm talking consistent three shot groups in the .5 to .6 range with Remington 150 grain Express ammo.

Here's the adjustment instructions I found on the net:

quote:
I don't claim any expert knowledge but I have learned to adjust triggers on most brands by searching the net and by trial and error. A true expert would probably warn against taking advice from a novice but then again it doesn't cost anything and half the fun is in the tinkering. My Howa trigger is much like a Winchester. It is housed in a gold color metal box with an adjustment screw in front and in back. Both are covered with a pink gob of plastic glue-like substance to keep you from messing with it. I assume the screw in back is for over travel but found no need to mess with it. The one in front adjusts the weight of pull. The hardest part is cutting off the glue. I'm sure doing so will void your warranty and increase your liability if you screw it up and cause an accidental discharge. Once the glue is off you can loosen the lock nut very slightly and adjust the weight by simply turning the screw in or out slightly. A little bit goes a long way. Make very minor adjustments and test frequently with a good trigger pull guage. The lock nut surrounding the screw holds it in place. Once satisfied with the pull weight tighten it back without turning the screw. When locking the nut the adjustment can move so keep testing it and adjusting until it holds to your desired weight on repeated cocking and dry firing. Once done cock the rifle and give it a good whack on the butt on a hard floor. If it trips the trigger go back and adjust it heavier. I set mine at 2.5 lbs with no problem. If you are looking to reduce extremely low you may need an expert or a special trigger. I've found 2.5 to 3 lbs to be about ideal without causing any target wobble and a consistent pull on all my rifles makes for more consistent shooting. Test the safety before putting the action back in the stock and test again after reassaembly. You should get fairly consistent pulls repeatedly before live firing. If it wavers after live firing you can readjust and add a drop of Lock Tite. Mine has held perfectly. If someone has more expertise I'll defer to their wisdom on filing or polishing components for a perfect touch but this method works for me and is very similar on many rifles except Ruger if you know which screw to adjust. Good luck.

The front screw adjusts weight of pull. Don't be surprised if you can't get it to adjust the trigger pull weight any lighter than about 5 pounds. The adjustment screw in my Vanguard was not even touching the spring, the spring was bottomed-out in the little pocket that holds the spring.
Maybe my trigger was defective in that respect, I don't know, but I had to shorten the spring to get any adjustment out of it. I could also have back bored the spring pocket to make it deeper. The screw in the back is to adjust engagement and that is the one to be careful with. Too little engagement will result in a potentially dangerous condition. You can look at the side of the trigger and see how much engagement you have. The front screw does not affect the amount of engagement, so if the sear releases upon closing the bolt quickly or banging the butt on the floor, adjusting the front screw will not help. The surfaces themselves can be rather rough and may benefit from some judicious smoothing with 600-1000 grit and subsequent polishing with simichrome polish. Take care not to change the shape of the engagement surfaces, only smooth them. You want them to remain flat. Oh, and you want to turn the front screw OUT to reduce weight of pull. Turning the rear screw IN increases engagement. Good luck with it. As for me, I'm waiting for Timney to re-introduce the improved version of their Vanguard/Howa trigger as promised. -SG

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote