New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct layout
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In looking at photos of a number of custom stocks that have been here on AR in the past few weeks I have noticed differences in where the comb nose lines up with the middle of the grip cap.

If one takes a square and lays it on the top of the stock and runs the leg down the comb nose, how far the center of the grip cap can one get away with and still be correct.

(I notice that Mr. Wiebe's stocks always seem to be almost directly straight up and down)

Others seem to be up to 1/2 inch difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the look & placement depends IMO upon the curve of the PG and the angle of the PG cap if any. A tight PG curve almost demands that the comb nose be placed further to the rear for hand clearance while a more open curve allows more latitude in placement. At Trinidad we were taught to place the center of the nose's convex (top) curve directly above the center of the grip cap and as you point out this is also Duane's method.

You may care to look at some extremely nice photos of superb classicly-styled rifle stocks on the single-barrel forum over at the doublegunshop.com site. Rifles by all the most famous US makers of the first part of the 20th century as well as some more modern ones. I'm especially impressed with Steve Hughes' & Ed Webber's stockwork on single shots as well as Ralf Martini's metalwork and James Tucker's bolt rifles. Much food for thought on that site, just be sure to have your drool towel handy!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find this topic interesting. The comb nose is variable...I tend to make most heavy hitters with the comb nose nudged forward a bit...leaves a little air between thumb and nose.

A responsible rifle shooter will use ANY rest available . but the rifle or shotgun must be comfortable in offhand.

Shooters trained in the military will almost always hold the elbow higher than the shoulder. Hence, the comb has to come back a bit as the heel of the hand "rolls over" the top of the grip.

Try this..hold a stick or 12" ruler in your grip hand. Stand sideways to the mirror as if you are holding a rifle or shotgun...raise your elbow up and down, you will see the "stick" change it's angle to horizontal (or vertical) a bunch....which will have a definite effect on the comb nose position.

The thickness is also a consideration. The guy who has pounded nails for 30 years will have larger and thicker hands (on average) than the typical accountant. The base of the thumb will be much thicker for the carpenter. so room for that muscular development has to be considered

The on going "fad" is to make the comb nose literally a pimple on the upper stock line...look cool? Oh yeah! Room for the base of the thumb? No not...even for the accountant.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I guess that explains why you don't have a stock pattern.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No! I don't have a"pattern" A pattern is an effort to make one size fit all.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Linden nose.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I probably have eight 98 mauser patterns. I can modify any of them in short order to fit what I want. I know you do everything from a blank and I wish I had your speed doing it that way. I wish I had even some of your skills and with my age, I am sure I never will. Having a blank turned saves me time and I don't do it to make them all the same. Btw, nice straight man Forrest. Wink

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote