Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for rifle stock books
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
Im on the hunt for more knowledge and I seemed to have found a gap in internet recources. It seems that since this art form is such an old dated type of practiced art, not alot of broken down specifics can be found on the net. PLUS I need something I can take with me to the wood shop while actually working on a stock.

What im looking for in a book is details on the finishing process. I have a couple unfinished stocks I been cutting on and learning to checker, and I figure while im at it I might as well learn to finish them properly.

Learning to glass bed them and fit/shape them will come later. I just want some paper on how to take my checkered stocks and make them nicee and purdy!

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you don't need a book. Look on Duane Wiebe's site for the details. From what I have been told by others its 10 percent application and 90 percent perspiration.

http://www.customgunandrifle.c...icle&id=15&Itemid=14

one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH's book "Double Guns & Gunsmithing" has some good finishing advice from several sources- modern, traditional, etc.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
A old classic

Newell, A. Donald
Title: GUNSTOCK FINISHING AND CARE- A COMPLETE GUIDE

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Professional Stockmaking by Dave Wesbrook is another good reference, covers shaping, sanding, and finishing, with several different methods described. Nothing on checkering though-- It's out of print now I expect...

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote