New
Find
Notify
Tools

actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were going to build an all weather type rifle, stainless of course what action would you start with. Are Sako actions still available commercially? Does Brownells sell a Remmy 700 long action (06 length)? Suggestions?

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by migra:
If you were going to build an all weather type rifle, stainless of course what action would you start with. Are Sako actions still available commercially? Does Brownells sell a Remmy 700 long action (06 length)? Suggestions?

Brownell’s doesn’t carry Remington actions any more, and never did carry LA’s or stainless actions.

Have you considered a CM action and having everything coated in Robar’s NP3 finish. It’s really tough stuff, looks like brushed stainless, and is self lubricating. You can have the insides and outsides coated and forget about rust.

That might allow you a larger choice on the type of action you decide to go with.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Looks like Brownells dropped the Rem 700 action. Brownells

You might be better off to buy a complete rifle and strip it. You can Ebay everything you don't want.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Looks like Brownells dropped the Rem 700 action. Brownells

You might be better off to buy a complete rifle and strip it. You can Ebay everything you don't want.

ElCaballero,

I used to buy my actions from Brownells and called them when they decided to drop the Remingtons. From what I was told they dropped them for three reasons:

1. Remington backed off the exclusivity they had promised Brownells.

2. Remington would not sell them anything except blued right hand short actions in either standard bolt face or small bolt face.

3. Remington required them to buy 600 actions at a time...and also required a minimum number of orders per year whether they needed more or not.

From what I was told by Remington Midway has supposedly placed an order for actions, but they wouldn’t tell me if it was under the same type restrictions they had with Brownells.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I always thought that buying actions like that was little over priced, but it is probably six in one and a half a dozen in the other.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Rick,
I always thought that buying actions like that was little over priced, but it is probably six in one and a half a dozen in the other.

Your right, it can be...but I just don’t have the time or the desire to buy complete new rifles and then remove the barrels and stocks and try to sell them. Brownells dealer price was $343.00 and they didn’t have the J-Lock.

It’s hard to find new 700 complete rifles for much less than $350 to $400, dealer cost...or at least it has been for me. If you know of a place let me know!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by migra:
Are Sako actions still available commercially? Suggestions?

If Sako actions are still commercially available (as opposed to on GunsAmerica, GunBroker etc), then it will probably be from these guys: Accuflite. They sold Sako 75 actions for a while, and might still have some?? The actions were not exactly cheap - at around $900, or something?? (There is an unconfirmed rumour, that Sako is coming out with a new action, and that the M75 will be discontinued pretty soon. True or not, who knows??).

For that price, you can almost get a custom action from places like Borden or BAT, both of which produce repeaters (in addition to their single shot lines). Check Benchrest.com for access to websites. Both these actions come in SS.

In that price range (900-1200), there are also other options, such as McBros, Prairie Gun Works, and Surgeon. Some (most?) of these actions are directed at the "tactical" market.

If you are looking for something cheaper, Montana Rifleman also offers a wide range of models - including SS ones.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like the Montana stainless actions. Winchester M-70 Classic stainless wouldn't be bad either.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Montana actions. Very nice and quite reasonable all things considered. Does anyone know who makes a good synthetic stock for that action?

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
It (MOntana Rifleman) action is compatible with a model 70 post 64 stock.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not really, SemprElk. It takes some work to get a fit. There are several people making stocks now. A call to MRC ought to get a list.

Brockman is doing a nice laminate and Serengeti has always offered their better stocks for the MRC. I understand they now have a finished "drop-in" for around $300 too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote