New
Find
Notify
Tools

THANK YOU VETERANS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As Veteran's day draws nigh, I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank the military veterans for their sacrifices in the service of our great nation.

From the windswept coasts of Normandy to the deep freeze cold of the Chosin; From the fetid swamps and steamy jungles of Vietnam and the South Pacific to the blazing deserts of Iraq it is the innumerable selfless acts of the citizen soldier standing in the breech against brutal enemies which affords all Americans their wonderful freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness."

Thank you one and all for your unfailing courage and willingness to give your life's blood so that others may stay safe.

May the tender mercies of an all knowing and ever- loving God richly bless your Lives,

HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Thank you hillbillybear for saying so. You're welcome.

I thank those that gave more than the 3 years at low pay that I did.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
You're very welcome Hillbillybear... Now, It would be almost unforgivable for me to send this reply without wishing my Marine Corps brothers and sisters a Happy 227th Birthday tomorrow, Nov 10th. Happy Birthday and Semper fi.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its nice that some appreciate us,and understand,for all my brothers in arms stand fast and rest easy,we will come to the trumpet.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No thanks needed, although the thought is appreciated.

I was drafted into a lost, useless war, did what I had to, and came back home.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure! Thanks for the thought. Ku-dude

<BigBob>
posted
HILLBILLYBEAR,
Thank you. What I experienced was not to great, but the ones we all owe so very much to, are those who never came home. On the 11th, raise your glass to ABSENT COMRADES, then bow your head and give thanks to God that such people were there when they were needed. I'm going to. [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best and longest lasting "thanks" would be to instill a sense of honor, duty and history to the young people in your family.

The second best thing would be to make sure Congress keeps funding our retirement pay. [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been 40 plus years since I was in the army.A lady came up to me yesterday and asked if I was a verteran and I said yes,she said she just wanted to shake my hand,it made me feel really good.
Thanks for your caring,we all need to give many thanks for the men and women who gave their lives and time to keep this great nation on the go.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Thank you for thinking of us. Just as an aside, in the office where I've worked for the past 18 years, every Veterans Day, every person in there either shakes my hand, or gives me a hug and kiss, along with a hearty thank you. It's a lot nicer reception than the one I got when I came home from S.E.Asia in 1970.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I've made up my mind,two old friends are coming in tonight to drive up to D.C. to see the WALL,I am going its time to put it to rest and get rid of the gobblins

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice posts. I too give a very heartfelt Thank You to my fellow Veterans. I'm one of those "support" guys that put in the time but not the bravery or the blood.

Every Veterans Day I call my Family Vet's and personally thank them. One was a submariner in the North Atlantic, , another a Navy UDT , one a Tanker in Korea and my Wifes Dad was a B17 and later a B24 Pilot. My Dad, now gone, was a Marine who saw the flag go up on Mount Suribachi and was very proud of his service to our Country.

I'm so happy that the attitude on Veterans Day has really come around lately. Several of your posts prove that.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HillbillyBear. My father was at the Marshalls, Iwo, and Okinawa. I saw Khe Sahn, Hue City,and Danang. For those who have never fought
for it, freedom has a taste they will never k
now. Semper Fidelis.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
My dad was in the Marines on Okinawa and Saipan. Rough action there.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million guys. Always with you. I didn't serve but my father did in the South Pacific and my grandfathers did during WWI.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard this on the radio this morning, and I've never heard it quite this concise. I can only paraphrase:

A reporter didn't give you freedom of the press. A soldier did.

The ACLU didn't give you freedom of religion. A soldier did.

A poet didn't give you freedom of speech. A soldier did.

Antiwar protesters didn't make it possible to assemble and petition for the redress of grievances. Soldiers did.

Thanks.

H. C.

[ 11-12-2002, 00:41: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(double post)

Thanks again.

H. C.

[ 11-12-2002, 00:42: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Thank you. And thank you John Ryan, I still miss you after 35 years.
Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote