New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on rail mounted scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As noted in my companion post in "Optics", I purchased a rifle recently with a S&B scope which has a rail mount. The scope is too far to the rear for me, and was apparently previously in a more forward position from filled holes that are in the rail.

Could someone advise me on the practice for filling holes in rails and "unfilling" them? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kudude

I'm sure you already knew that for cosmetic purposes, you could use acruglas gel mixed with the black dye to fill the unwanted holes and as it hardened shave off the excess with a razor blade. Now for the windy part of my humble opinion, Smiler Since you have a quality scope, you really want a professional looking job and the newly located hole has to be perfect. Most rails that I've seen have seen have roughly a 70 degree angle so it's pretty tough to drill or redrill a hole without it running off with just a drill. A man with a mill could set it up and do it once you have located the mounts on the rail where you want them.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once had the same problem (on a Zeiss) Zeiss rep said to use (gulp) bondo, sand off like you were a good body and fender man, then carefully mask off and spray with flat black...worked great and was invisible

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote