Find
Notify
Tools

Williams Not Lyman Peep Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have a nice little Mannlicher in 358 Norma. It was build on an FN action. My eyes are to the point I need to go to a low power scope. IT HAS A WILLIAMS NOT THE LYMAN RECEIVER SIGHT. I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED BEFORE I POSTED. The eyes and memory are both going. Does anyone know if the Sight come apart easily. Or can it be removed to allow a scope to be mounted and then returned later without having to re-adjust? I don't just start removing screws.

As Recoil Bob posted I can see the long screw that is touching the top of the receiver. It is in contact. On the side of the sight are two screw one with a circle around it. But, no buttons as Bob mentioned on a Lyman

Any suggestions? It is a beautiful little rifle I hate leaving it in the safe and not shooting it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you're speaking of a Lyman recievr sight, mounted on one side of the rear ring.

Ususally there is a button on the side of the slide, that when pushed in will allow the receiver sight to be pulled upwards and removed, leaving the mounting block attached to the gun.

You may then mount your scope.

On the receiver sight there is also a small, long screw that when screwed down will contact the receiver. If, before you remove the sight, you screw this down as far as you can until it just touches the receiver, the sight may later be replaced and will hold zero.
On a Savage 99 I have that was scoped with a G&H mount, I removed the receiver sight, oiled it and wrapped it in wax paper, and placed it in a hollowed out space i\under the butt plate ti use as a backup should the scope fail.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I changed the original post. The rifle has a Williams not a Lyman Receiver sight. How is it removed?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If the one with the circle around it is loosened the sight arm will lift up out of the slot. This screw is a lock for the elevation if memory serves me and the white circle around it is th lock washer. It will have to be screwed down to keep from losing it when the sight arm is removed. The screw on top sets the elevation and should not be moved after zeroing.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a williams sight for the military mauser in today. Here is how the instructions say to remove it (or install it).

1 - Loosen the 2 small set screws on the front of the horizontal part of the sight 1/4 turn (not more than 1/4). These are lock screws but if you back them out too much the adjustment screws won't engage - they will just spin in place.

2- Loosen the screw with the ring around it on the side of the vertical part of the sight. This is also a locking screw.

3- Turn the elevation adjustment screw (the one on the top of the horizontal part) counterclockwise until it is totally unscrewed.

4- Lift out the horizontal part of the sight so you have access to the mounting screws on the base.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
DrScott
All the screws you mention are there so I will give it a try. Thanks

In my case all I did was unscrew the one with the ring around it. The sight then lid out the top. Since the opposite screw was touching the top of the receiver it just slide right back into place. Perfect to just carry as a backup. Going to be nice to shoot my 358 again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K