Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Oil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted
Does anybody have any experience with Schaftol Stock oil?

Good, bad or in-different.

I have a couple Spring time projects, involving putting an Oil finish on a couple of Factory wood stocks, and was wondering about this Oil.

Thanx.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very popular German origin...they make it in all shades...never was able to use the "sand in" mehod successfully but the old German thinkng was NOT to fill the grain, I've always liked it as a maintenance oil

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you use this type of oil if trying to replicate the original finish of a German pre war sporting rifle or is there another type oil finish that you could recommend.

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This oil doesn't really dry. That's why you can't fill the pores. A German gunsmith explained to me that they use this as you would use shoe oil or a boot grease. This is a true "in the wood" finish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Balsin Schaftöl is very popular here in the Fatherland.

It's made in four colors, Brown, (Braun - Green Label), Light (Hell - Yellow Label) , Dark Brown (Dunkel-Braun - Brown Label) & Redish-Brown (Rotbraun - Red Label).

When fellows like Duane Wiebe comment on stock finishes I take notice; the odd stock-refinish or new project attempted over a lifetime doesn't even register a small quiver on the Richter-Scale compared to a professional.

Managed two sanded-in finishes and if everythig goes according to Hoyle the children will already have graduated from College; be considering grand-children by the time it gets right - so patience is a virture.

Used it on two new stocks and by soaking the wood with it, then warming the Schaftöl (minute amounts; read: several drops) for a coupla seconds in the mircowave at a time, painstakingly rubbing it in until your fingers & hands are worn out; it seemed to build up a pretty good coat that was then sanded with a postage stamp size piece of the finest grade sandpapaer between applications. Both took a shooting season to begin to reflect a finish, so it's not FAST.

Germans use alot of stippeling on their target rifles and on large expanses of stippled areas it soaks in well - although be prepared to purchase several bottles.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote