New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30/06 that was restocked with a synthetic Bell and Carlson stock back in 1990. It has always grouped around 1 inch at 100 yards until this year. It has a Leupold Vari-x3 2.5-8 on it, and a free floated barrel. All of the action screws are tight, as are the base and ring screws. I inspected the crown of the barrel, and it is undamaged. The bore is kept spotless, as I have always kept my rifles in top condition. I was considering installing fiberglass bedding to the recoil lug recess to see if that might help. This seems relatively easy to do by myself. I was looking for the thoughts of you folks out there if this is a feasible do it yourself project. Thanks for your input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a feasible DIY project. Look on Youtube for instructions on how to do it. There are a lot of video tutorials on this that are very good.

USE LOTS OF RELEASE AGENT. Paste wax works well for this.

Have you eliminated the possibility that the scope has gone haywire?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that the scope is OK. As I stated, everything is tight, and I have tapped the scope body with my fingers while looking through the scope and saw no movement. The VX-3 is a pretty durable scope, and despite 20+ years of use, it hasn't been abused in any way. I'll start with bedding the recoil lug, and go on from there. It is possible that the rifle simply doesn't like the factory ammo that I have always used. Maybe the "recipe" for the ammo has changed.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the factory loads; you need to hand load a load that suits the rifle. And glass bedding is easy; get a kit from Brownells and go for it. I use paste wax for release agent; not the stuff that comes in the kit. I like the acraglas gel; it does not run.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I have a rifle that goes south in accuracy here is what I check:

1. Did I change ammo?
2. Action screws
3. Does action move in stock with screws tight?
4. Crown
5. scope bases
6. scope rings
7. scope; scopes can shoot loose inside. Leupold has had issues with their erector tube assemblies. Try another scope.
8. bore fouling - make sure it isn't copper fouled.

If it was shooting good w/o glass bedding before something else has likely changed.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
9. My ability to shoot accurately. (Consider moving to number 1)

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My ability to shoot accurately. (Consider moving to number 1)

rotflmo Yep that is always my first consideration. I make sure I repeat the bad groupings to insure it wasn't just a bad day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30/06 that was restocked with a synthetic Bell and Carlson stock back in 1990. It has always grouped around 1 inch at 100 yards until this year. It has a Leupold Vari-x3 2.5-8 on it, and a free floated barrel. All of the action screws are tight, as are the base and ring screws. I inspected the crown of the barrel, and it is undamaged. The bore is kept spotless, as I have always kept my rifles in top condition. I was considering installing fiberglass bedding to the recoil lug recess to see if that might help. This seems relatively easy to do by myself. I was looking for the thoughts of you folks out there if this is a feasible do it yourself project. Thanks for your input.

If the action is not pillar bedded now, bedding the recoil lug will have little effect on making the rifle more accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ability to shoot accurately is, of course, something that I will always question, since a bad day at the range is always a possibility. To illuminate that area a bit, I am a shooter with over 40 years experience, with military experience, and 40 years of hunting experience all over North America, including Alaska, Canada, and a recent, very successful African Safari. My questions were directed at the accuracy fanatics out there who may know a few details that might help. I have never had any difficulty getting tight groups out of any weapon that I choose to shoot, be it pistol, revolver, rifle, muzzleloader or shotgun. That being said, thanks to those of you who gave serious answers.