THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    G33/40: Found cheap 1950's sporterized. What's the action worth?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G33/40: Found cheap 1950's sporterized. What's the action worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took the barrel's action out of the stock, and the surface is perfect, both above and below the wood line (The lightening cuts are cool!). However, there were old Weaver mounts on both reciever rings. The holes go all the way through (Can they be welded up?) I believe it has the original safety/shroud. The wing on the safety has a small circled "Z" stamped on it. The same symbol is stamped on the bottom of the action. It has Nazi markings and was made in 1942. The bolt handle has been crudely modified, but retains the hollow bolt knob. It has the original barrel, but a cheeey looking redfield barrel banded front sight has been added. I bought the rifle for $250.00 at a gheto/barrio pawn shop in Greeley Colorado. I don't know if I want to keep it or sell it. I've read in this forum that the G33/40 is one of the most valuable and desireable mauser actions. It's certainly the nicest millsurp action I've owned. What might this one be worth? Thanks ahead of time for your valued comments.
Matt

P.S.
It came with an old "Realist" brand 6X scope. (Very Looong!) Is it worth anything?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I think one sold here recently for around 600.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them selling for $800 around here or I should say they were asking $800...I would pay $400 or $500 for them but I haven't been able to get them for that kind of money lately......I have a couple right now, but they are not for sale.

Really a nice small ring action for custom rifles on the 06 case...My favorite along with the Brno 21 and 22...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,
Just recently sold two basic actions for 1200 w/o original bolts, Argentine bottom metal, no pitting, in excellent condition. I had four of them and sold those two rather quickly, but not on this site. Some are willing to pay maximum for them these days for it is a bit like prime real estate, don't make 'em anymore!! Actually I tend to like the VZ24's or Argentine '09's more than the 33/40's. They have all RC's in low 20's and good to go. Do not subscribe to the heat treating process, but sure others will think differently.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran across one yesterday in a local shop. One of the regulars is a WWII vet and he brought back a 33/40 he took after a battle in Alsace.

He had the gun sporterized in the 1950's, not a bad job but nothing special. The barrel was turned down and it had a Lyman receiver sight mounted but it was in otherwise good condition.

I was under the impression he wanted to sell it so I made an offer. He thought a minute and said he was going to keep it, "It may have killed some of my friends."

That hit home.

Then again, maybe I didn't offer enough.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rather important factor, at least in my mind, is where those scope mounting holes were drilled.

Otherwise, they are popular enough that you should be able to get at least $600 for it if you are patient and stick to your price.

Take a look at the Silver Lining Scholarship thread here on Gunsmithing. A g.33/40 was the Star of the Show on that Rifle, and the photos will give you some idea of what is possible with one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
A rather important factor, at least in my mind, is where those scope mounting holes were drilled.

Can't one have the holes welded up, and the threads chased, if a hole is through the threads on the front ring?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, it is normal to drill through the threads on the front ring (with the barrel removed) and then replace the barrel.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sold one for $750 that had a Douglas 7-08 barrel on it. I think you'll get $600, but it may take a little while. You just need the right guy to come by who has to have one...

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Can't one have the holes welded up, and the threads chased, if a hole is through the threads on the front ring?

you don't want the holes drilled into the recoil lug seats.