New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-14 mag conversion for 700 SA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anybody doing an M-14 mag conversion to Rem 700 SA's that works well?
Thanks,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think H&S is the only one now,Robar did,or does but I seem to remember they stop

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mo Defina of Mo's Competitor Supplies in Connecticut was doing this at one point. I don't know if he's still at it, but it might be worth a call. (203) 775-1013

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robar no longer does this conversion...and I believe the H&S unit (nothing more than a new, modified trigger guard) uses their own mags, not M14 mags. I've never seen an H&S unit but I believe their mags are single stack since there is no requirement for receiver modification to use their units.

To get the 700 to accept M14 mags the bottom of the receiver and the trigger guard have to be permanently altered (Robar made their own trigger guard) so this is a one-way...no going back...procedure that would end up costing more than the rifle itself. The mags themselves also need to have the feed lips altered slightly and will no longer work in M14/M1A's after the alteration.

Robar initially offered the conversion for $695.00 which included modifying up to two customer supplied mags and they told me that to continue to offer it they would have had to charge almost three times that amount due to the time/labor involved...so they stopped offering the work in late 2002.

I know this because I had a rifle in their shop in November/Dec 2002 for metal coating and the conversion when they stopped offering the conversion.

Robar is a great company that I have done lots of business with and because they couldn't do the conversion Tadd didn't charge me for the metal coating on the rifle, plus he coated (NP3) all ten M14 mags I had sent in with the rifle for free. I now have ten really nice 5-shot mags for my M1A!

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Jim Cloward in WA was doing this conversion a few years ago but dont know if he still is. I looked at this very seriously when I was building a bolt gun for an across the course match rifle. I ended up going with the H&S set up since it was much less expensive overall. I ended up selling the rifle before I even had a chance to try it out. So I cant offer any first hand experience on actual use of the H&S conversion.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
John

Here is a link that is the exact same question, with the answers and some pictures.

M-14 / HS Precision Mag Conversion

Zero

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, John, rick, M1, and Zero,
Thank you all for the information. That just saved me about two months of research!
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HD rifles is still doing a modifcation for a magazine fed M700 I dont recall the price but I believe he posts as Celt. The website is hdrifle.com. When he is not busy turning out awesome work you can find him over at 24hour Campfire.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,
He keeps popping up on my radar screen. I've got a sample of his ceramic coating enroute.
JCN

Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
Jeff (CELT) just put the Ceramic Coating on my 300 ICL Tornado, I am just waiting on it to get back, but everything I have heard about his work is top notch. I will try to post a pic or 2 once the gun is back in my hands.

Zero

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be great.
I would like some ceramic coating for my asshole for when I eat Thai food with 7 out of 12 stars spicy .