New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tig welding plugged holes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any Gunsmith that can examine plugged old scope base holes in a front reciever ring , Tig weld them, rehardin the reciever. Or advise . Drill tap new holes.

Its an old enfield with the plugs at 11:00 and 1:00. I was told the holes are from a old style base.

Or find this old style base somewhere?

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TIG welding is what fixes allot of my mistakes.
[image]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=417603.jpg[/image]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would sure like to see this topic kicked around. I was cautioned by a welding engineer/ gun guy, who said there are two rules about welding on the receiver ring. 1. Don't do it and # 2 Don't do it! A safe method is to REALLY clean out the holes, wind in some CLEAN plug screws as tight as you feel comfortable, then peen carefully, but fully, dress off and with rust bluing the plugs will be invisible...still would like to hear about welding rec. rings, though...seeya Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am no master tig welder but I have yet to get an invisible patch without paying close attention to fill rod alloy and then re-heatreat. On a lot of Winchesters I have patched I use a method I stole from Bob Snapp. Has worked every time so far. Bad part, it requires a sacrificial action. I drill out the thread, taper ream and press in a tapered plug cut from the old reciever. When cleaned up and properly surfaced you cannot even find the plug with magnification. I'm thinking the procedure might be a little spendy to perform on an Enfield, unless it was a good one and was being built into a full custom.

Posts: 13 | Location: Eastern WA | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
On the two Mausers I repaired I tigged the holes using Tartan rod. These were on the rear bridge but may as well have been on the front ring because I had them heat treated anyway.

Both blued with no discernable differences in color noticable.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote