New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Sight Location
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The current issue of Field and Stream has an article on Harry Selby's Rigby .416. The photo of the rifle shows the rear sight island to be about .5 inch in front of the front receiver ring. Why? Did Mr. Selby have a vision problem?

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head, I say he must have had GREAT vision.

As we age, we usually need the rear sight further out on the barrel to maintain any degree of sharpness.

Of course, with that, the sighting radius becomes shorter..probably what lead to the "peep" sight

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Harry sent me a rather detailed story on the 416 a while back when it was a hot topic, i'll see if he mentioned it. I dont think he did but let me go digging...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The peep also has the benefit of acting like f22 on a camera lens and 'crisping' the sight picture in the same manner. I too agree with Duane that Harry had good eyesight. Even the later pics of his shooting show him not wearing glasses. I have looked through a pair of his shooting glasses and I do not remember there being any prescription but am only about 90% about that.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Check the letter and no mention of the rear sight placement. My guess is that's the way he found it when he got from Nairobi.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
As we age, we usually need the rear sight further out on the barrel to maintain any degree of sharpness.

I might be wrong but isn't the primary focus supposed to be on the front sight blade? When I'm letting out that last breath and applying the squeeze, the 'out of focus' rear sight is merely a reference for the positioning of the front blade. I hardly even notice it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac out of focus and invisible are too different things. Rear sights tend to disappear after 50!

I was shooting my K-22 a while back. Two handed in front of me I didn't hit paper. Single handed stretched out to the side and I was killing 10's. I could not even see the rear sight two handed. The difference that extra few inches made was dramatic.

I like to look at old lever guns and muzzle loaders with sight blank fillers neatly installed as the rear sight is moved forward to compensate for older vision. My friend builds muzzle loaders for lots of guys over 40 and he has them shoulder the arm and then he lays his finger on top of the barrel and slides it forward until it is focused.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
Rear sights tend to disappear after 50!

Gives me something to look forward to. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not sure about bolt actions, but for muzzle loaders, levers and single shots the location of the rear sight with respect to the balance point of the rifle is an important consideration for carrying in the field. Having the rear sight directly under your hand when carrying is a pain. Forward of the balance point is better for us old guys
Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Keep it well forward of the receiver ring, at least 6 to 8 inches for me.

Closer is for better eyes than this old boy can field.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have open sights turning the rear
sight around may help.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote