Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remingtom 700 LSS bedding and stock
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a rem 700 LSS and would like advice on glass bedding and free floating the barrel.

1) I have a browning A-bolt that I glass bedded and free floated the barrel, it shoots very well. I'm not sure if I can do the same to my new rem 700. What does the "pressure point" between the barrel and stock do for the rem 700? Do I risk losing accuracy if I free float the barrel and this pressure point no longer exists? How much space should the barrel have from the stock if free floated properly?

2) Any advice on which part and how much of the barrel, chamber, and/or action is best to glassbed would be appreciated.

3) This model has a laminated wood stock. If I remove any stock material, do I need to seal it to keep the wood from being able to absorb moisture? What is a good product to use if needed?

Posts: 2 | Location: The Greatland, Chugiak, Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first.Then see.
Most rems I owned shot better with the pressure
point removed and barrel floated.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first if it don't shoot acceptable groups,take the pressure point out if it gets worse put it back and work on a load it likes.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle in 300RUM. I had a bit of trouble getting it to shoot so I took out the pressure point. It got a little better but not good enough so I glass bedded it. Now I am pretty happy with it. Shoots 1MOA pretty consitantly. I think about putting the pressure point back in from time to time but I don't know for sure it will make it any better and if for some reason the stock does shift it will change the point of impact. I think a laminated stock is supposed to be resin impregnated or whatever they call it but sealing it back up will just make certain it doesn't get water into it.

Mark

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two LSS, one in 270, the other in 260. I had one pillar bedded, the other I'm just working up loads for. My other Remingtons are all different, some shot better floated without a pressure point, some needed the pressure point. Each rifle is an entity to itself. Shoot first and go from there.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote