New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser bolt sleeve 'flipping'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .35 Whelen, built around a Santa Barbara action. A few weeks ago, while at the range, the bolt sleeve rotated 90 degrees to the left. Since then I can get it to repeat the failure about once in 20 cycles by dry cycling the action.

I heard this problem mentioned on one of the MRC threads, (by Bill Leeper?) but I don't recall any mention of what the cure might be. Any pointers?

Posts: 5844 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weed,
The bolt sleeve is not rotating far enough for the bolt sleeve lock to engage. There are multiple potential causes but usually the fault is in the bolt sleeve itself or the cocking piece. I'll be up to shoot a BR match out at Homestead on the 9th and 10th. I 'll bring a bolt sleeve and you can come out to the range if you like and we'll check it out. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Obviously all Mausers are unsafe now! Everyone should be destroyed if one of them exhibits such dangerous failures. Sheesh! (I hope you hear the sarcasm)

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

Is "destroy" the same as "send directly to Dago Red?" :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Fjold,

Is "destroy" the same as "send directly to Dago Red?" :-)

Red

WRONG!!!!

It means bring lots of mausers preferable obendorfs, Brno, ZG47, rigbys, H&H, sauer sohn, Simson, Hartman und Weiss, and all other high quality mausers to JOHAN. Send me a mail and ask for the address [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

If you got any worn out remingtons with a dangerous trigger, you can send thoose to Dago red [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 07-22-2003, 20:37: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill! I'll do my best to be there; otherwise I might just ship you the whole thing and let you play with it a bit.

Fjold - Nope. Nothing unsafe about any of my Mausers... [Smile] Anything can develop a hitch now and again; I'll still take a Mauser (or one of it's derivatives) over any other action out there when it comes to hunting rifles.

Posts: 5844 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Obviously all Mausers are unsafe now! Everyone should be destroyed if one of them exhibits such dangerous failures. Sheesh! (I hope you hear the sarcasm)

[Roll Eyes]