Find
Notify
Tools

whitworth stock????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
will a '98 mauser fit a whitworth as fas as the inletting for the receiver/bottom metal is concerned???... i picked up a nice whitworth barreled action in 7 rem mag today for a very nice price and need a stock... was thinking about a boyd's thumbhole laminate... i can find 1 for a '98 mauser.... thanks..jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1909 Mauser mag box in one hand and a Whitworth stock (side button floorplate release, not the in-the-bow model) in the other. Putting them together, I see the front tang part of the bottom metal is longer than the inletting. Now comparing an in-the-bow release Mark X to the 1909 metal, it is the same - 1909 metal is longer in front. Some military bottom metal I have seen is shorter in the front area than the 1909 metal.

So, it would depend on how the inletting is for the bottom metal. A 98 action is a tad bit tight in my Whitworth stock - maybe the Whitworth receiver was polished a bit more and a few .001" smaller?

If you can find inletting for an FN commercial rifle (or at least the bottom metal), it looks nearly the same as the Whitworth and Mark X models.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote