New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1903-A3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington made 1903 A3 that I was just given by a family member. The exterior all looks great, no rust, the wood looks great. I'd say as good as 80% to 90%. The bore.... You couldn't even see the lands and grooves! So I started cleaning. I used a chamber plug and soaked the bore in kroil for several day. Pored that out, run a few patches through and soaked the bore again. This time when I went to run the patches through the bore, my cleaning rode "wobbled" with the rifling. Looking down the bore, one of the (I guess it would be the Lands) looks to be taller that the others from one end to the other.

The gun has been shot obviously, so I'm going to go see what kind of group it will print next. But with the way the cleaning rod went down the bore, my hopes aren't very high.

I have thought things like lapping, just shooting the fire out of it with a good cleaning every few rounds, to doing nothing and just putting the gun up (which would be a shame).

So here I am to pick everyone's brain. Any thoughts or ideas?

I am not trying to start a Fire lapping, hand lapping, no lapping debate.. It was just a thought I had to maybe smooth out that bore some.

Thanks.

(Also Posted in the gun cleaning forum)

Posts: 39 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the bore is done with a gun drill before the grooves are cut, that land can't be "higher" than the others. Perhaps the grooves adjacent to that land are deeper, but even that seems unlikely.

Try slugging the bore and taking careful measurements of the slug.

Or just shoot it.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you can still find new, surplus barrels for them.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I believe you can still find new, surplus barrels for them.

Shoot it first.

If one has to replace the barrel there are very few that haven't been rebuilt don't worry about it.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both 2- and 4-groove original barrels, never mounted on actions (short-chambered), that would meet your needs if that barrel doesn't pan out.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would first take it out and shoot it. See what it does. If it is accurate enough then problem solved I have seen some ugly bores that actually shot pretty well. My personal feelings are that if it is pretty far gone there is no hand lapping fire lapping home trick or juju that will bring the rifling "back".
If it does not shoot to your liking there are 2 and 4 groove barrels available as one poster offered. I think CMP still has them available as well.
Enjoy your old Springfield I love those rifles.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Criterion makes new short chambered barrels that shoot lights out. I believe they are even "match" legal.

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to slug the bore, and go shoot it ASAP. I guess the biggest thing I'm worried about, is how hard it will be to clean.. But we will see.

Thanks everyone.. And if I have to change the barrel, going to .308 would be nice! I have three tons of brass for that..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be a 03-A3 unless its a .30/06!

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a VFW return. Here is a cleaning method I picked up off of CMP.

"Brownell's sells .30 caliber stainless steel bore brushes, and they work miracles with cleaning up corroded bores.

I've learned that corroded bores usually contain three different kinds of deposits that require successive uses of three different kinds of solvents. These are:

Rust - which is water-soluble.
Powder and metallic fouling - which is soluble with bore cleaners
Grease - which is soluble with petroleum-based solvents.

The water should be boiling hot and contain a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Shove the muzzle down into the pot of hot water and use the bore brush to draw the soapy water into the bore.

Dry the bore, then clean it with a good bore cleaner.

Wipe the bore, then clean it with a petroleum solvent, such as acetone or lacquer thinner. Avoid getting solvent on the stock.

Repeat the three preceding cleaning steps until the bore is clean and you see bright shiny metal at the muzzle.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

J.B. "

A couple of other people suggested using 8mm/338 bore brushes.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I eco mend having the headspace checked befor you shoot it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is really a vfw return, then the barrel is likely a corroded mess; they shoot only blanks and never cleaned them. I re-barrel them all the time. I did one last summer in 308 but that is not legal for service rifle matches. Shot great though,

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I would try a couple treatments with Wipe-out.

I picked up a US1917 a few years ago that had a dark bore and didn't look like there was much left to it. Hoppe's, Sweets, and some G.I. bore cleaner didn't do much.

I tried the Wipe-out, and it was dripping blue and black crud the first application, a then a gray and blue on the 2nd application, and two more applications of progressively lighter blue until it finally came out clear.

Now the bad thing (good thing?) is that once it was finally "clean" the first 10" or so of the barrel was badly pitted. Probably a VFW return. The good thing was the crown was good and it shot reasonably well... 3-4" groups from the bench at 100 with ball ammo.
Good enough for a collector type rifle that only gets shot occasionally.

Good luck with yours!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you want from your gun, but I had a CMP 1903 Springfield with an original 1932 barrel. Running a patch through it I could feel the throat erosion (i.e. not much resistance) for the first third of the barrel.

It shot ok for what it was. It would "hold the black" at 100 yards on a 100 yard SR-1 target.

If it can't do that, either get a New Old Stock (NOS) barrel for it or get a new Criterion (Krieger company button rifled barrel).

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the info.. The holidays have put a crimp in my shooting/gun work. I hope to get to fool with it some Friday.. I'll let everyone know how it shoots and what the slug turns out like..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clean the bore. if you don't like it, rebore to .35 whelen, or rebarrel with a NOS 2-groove. they are still out there.