New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1
 Login/Join

<AVMcGee>
posted
The stock is broken and will have to be replaced .

Does someone make a wood stock that is shorter than the factory one? Or will a new wood stock have to be cut shorter in order to fit a young shooter?

Thanks.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Andrew,

I don't know who if any, makes a finished youth stock for the No.1. You might end up having to have a new replacement stock cut to fit the youngster.

How bad is the stock broken? I have seen some pretty amazing stock repairs using "modern" materials. If it were repairable, it might be a better plan to have it repaired and shortened and save getting a replacement stock for when the youngster has grown up.

Malm

<AVMcGee>
posted
Malm,

I am attemting to put a picture of the broken stock in.

Do you think it is repairable? I do not have the broken piece. Thanks for your help.
 -

[ 12-05-2002, 03:00: Message edited by: AVMcGee ]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
The picture didn't make it.
Anyway, the piece of the stock that broke off is missing. I will have to buy a new stock anyway.
Thanks for all the responses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant see the photo to see how big the piece is that is missing but if you consider that this is just a temporary stock there are some alternatives. I looked at the Boyd Link and their stock is $125. You could likely splice a piece of wood in where it is missing and epoxy the whole thing back together. Granted it will not look all that good but for the time being you could paint the stock gray until he or she is ready for a full sized stock. Then get a nice peice of wood done by someone like Boyds and then have a family project to finish it. The $125 at Boyds is not completely fitted and finished, nor is a pad installed.

Another option is to check with Gunpartscorp.com and see if they have a Ruger #1 take off stock. Would be willing to bed that it would be a lot cheaper than having one built at Boyds

[ 12-04-2002, 05:39: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
This is the picture.

Customstox,

Do you think this could be fixed with another piece of wood?

Thanks for your information.
 -

[ 12-05-2002, 03:00: Message edited by: AVMcGee ]

<JBelk>
posted
Chic---

I saw the picture the first time it came up... The stock broke out the entire right side of the neck back to a very clean break at the back of the grip checkering panel. There's a half inch of stock above the grip cap left and everything up and forward, down to the through bolt is gone.

It looks to be the perfect canidate for a full transplant of another butt stock. [Smile]

<AVMcGee>
posted
I will have to figure out another picture place. Thanks JBelk.

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Would be an easy fix if the piece was in hand.
Lucky if the stock bolt is not bent. It's a shame that such a large piece of stock is missing.
Certainly is a candidate for a new stock. Will have to try to match the forend color also.
Good luck.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
I checked at Gunpartscorp.com, but they have nothing.

Anybody know where I may find a used one for a 1-B in 220 Swift? I will try the classifieds.

Thanks to all for your responses.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Check on eBay.com, GunsAmerica.com, AuctionArms.com, GunBroker.com or in Gun List or Shotgun News for a factory take-off. You can cut it down if it needs to be shortened.

[ 12-05-2002, 22:35: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Since you aren't to far from this guy I would give him a try. He may even have a take of stock.

David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi LA.
(318) 878-1395

He does excellent work.

From the looks of the break I would also be willing to send it to ruger and see what they say. Tell them what happened professionally and honestly, It could mean a new stock for little or nothing.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Ruger and they'll put one on it for next to nothing.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretend I didn't say what I did. It is not repairable without some extensive work and not worth that.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would send it back to Ruger.

While they specifically do not have written gaurantees about there products due to legal ramifications they are (were to me) good to deal with.

Many moons ago I had a Super blackhawk and cracked a cylinder. I sent the gun back to the factory with the empty cartridge still in the cylinder. Ruger sent it back a couple of weeks later with a new cylinder and a note saying "sorry you had a problem" the only cost was shipping the gun to the factory.

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
Thanks for the help. I will contact Ruger.