New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Pump Rifles for hunting ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys think of the Remington pumps model 760,model 6 or 7600 as a hunting rifle. I know you can put a sling on the 760's forarm but I don't like slings on the bbl. I want to know the good,bad and ugly. What cal. I'm familiasr with the 06 and .270 but not sure of the .270 accuracy in a pump. How about reloads ? i will use it for deer, bear, hogs maby a mulie or antelope. Thanks, crock

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've used a 760 in 30-06 for 29 years deer hunting & love it. Very accurate .

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I only shot one and that was quite a while ago. The friend who owned it said it shot well and I thought it was junk but I had never seen one shoot. I used to reload for that friend and he liked cheap loads. At that time we could get 30/06 ball free. I pulled the bullets on a box and seated the 152 gr bullets backwards in the neck so as to give him an expanding bullet. That load had a lead core. The Remington shot very well at 200 yards inspite of that handicap.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
holy cow!!
I am going to post about a pump gun!!
1: the barrel band sling is the most traditional for carry, and, for what it's worth, who wants to "cock" thier gun EVERY time then hand it on the shoulder?
2: the shoot great, and so does the 740.. but you can't run fast enough to give me either, UNLESS it's in 35 whelen
3: did I mention 35 whelen? let me tell you about 35's and north american game.....
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Remington makes a nice pump gun. If you use a pump shotgun you will take to it extra fast. I would say that you will be able to shoot as fast as an autoloader when you get used to them.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso
Cock thier gun every time?
Please explain why this is a concern.
Most bolt guns are cock on closing now days, so unless you walk with the bolt open, or let down the hammer (can do likewise with pump) same thing.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
John Y, MOST BOLT ACTIONS COCK ON OPENING, NOT ON CLOSING!! You must be thinking of the SMELLY!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old 760 in 308 that has taken many whitetails over the years. It is very accurate, fast and easy to carry. The trigger is the downfall on these rifles as it is poor and can't be adjusted but some smiths can work them some to smooth them out. In my opinion it is a whitetail rifle, but the trigger doesn't help on longer shots. I've gone to the M70 (pre64) for the last 7-8yrs and don't regret it a bit.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
As of last year, I have retired my bolts, and gone to a 7600 in Whelen (tuned trigger). The only thing I don't like about it is that it rusts a little easy. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<JP Terp>
posted
I tried my first pump last year. I bought a Remington 7600 in 30-06, cut the barrel back to 20", rust blued everything, refinished and fit the stock and tuned the trigger. My intentions were to make the "typical" Maine deer rifle. I was quite suprised when I worked up loads. It is capable of great accuracy (less than 1").

Since the forend is "free floating" on the 7600 model, a swivel should not be attached to it. The forend on the 760's are supported by the barrel and can take the abuse.

The triggers can be worked a little. You will always have some creep and over travel. A little practice with it will make up for the trigger.

I haven't gotten rid of my bolt actions, nor have I converted to pump only. However, the pump is a an adequate rifle and a pleasure to use.

Good Luck with yours,
John

<GAHUNTER>
posted
I remember reading a few years ago that a poll of eastern whitetail outfitters had voted the Remington 141 slide action rifle chambered for the .35 Remington to be the best deer rifle ever made. This, of course, is the forerunner to the 760, but it speaks volumes to the effectiveness of pump rifles.