Find
Notify
Tools

I just bedded my action, questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I just put the action in the stock about 30 minutes ago, I tried to take care to not "over-do" it, but maybe I "under-did" it? I didn't notice any bedding material squeezing out between the action and stock, is there any indicator as to if I got enough in there until I take it apart tomorrow night?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't notice any bedding material squeezing out between the action and stock

sounds like maybe not enough- I have a CZ 527 about three feet away from me that I "under estimated"- simple enough: when it hardens, and if you didn't use enough glass, clean it up thoroughly with denatured alcohol to get the release agent off it, maybe use a dremel tool to open it up a bit, and then re-glass it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, you can always add more; just be sure to clean it good so the new stuff adheres to the old.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How do I know if I achieved the "right amount"?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jim on this. Just make another set.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
How do I know if I achieved the "right amount"?

Use too much, so that it squeezes out in every spot you are trying to bed, then clean it up with vinegar or even water works for some bedding compounds. You cant have too much bedding compound, within reason of course.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't seen some of mine. If a little is good, a whole bunch is better. I take it apart with a comealong and grind the excess.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Looks like more is in order!

When you say clean it up with vinegar, what exactly does it do? Eat it or what? Can I cut the cured bedding with a real sharp knife? How do people get that perfect looking bedding with sharp corners and stuff?

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
be carfull with a knife. I tape the stock edges and use a file, carefully, till I hit tape.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Dempsey is right, no knife use a file or a sanding block to get that nice square look.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well, I used too little. Enough to get good contact on the back of the lug, but there are some air pockets, and the barrel isn't floating, neither is the tang. Guess I'll be adding more tonight, I wanted to shoot it this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
Guess I'll be adding more tonight, I wanted to shoot it this weekend.

Be sure to give the entire area a good scrubbing with acetone first, and then grind open all the areas where there are air bubbles to avoid trapping more air, rough up the "old" epoxy with some coarse emory cloth to help give teeth for the new layer to grab on to, and then hit it one more time with the acetone making sure every trace of release agent is gone. Good preparation is key when adding additional epoxy.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'd float the barrel and tang now, then proceed.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The barrel is "floating" except for the tip of the stock. It has been a b**** to get it...I've sent hours on it sanding away and it's still stuck tight there. I thought when bedding just put some tape around the barrel to float it? Same with the tang?

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
That could leave it riding on the tang and the tip, tighten down the screws and you just bedded in a problem if your using screws. I like to wrap surgical tubing around the whole thing and fill the screw holes in the stock with just about anything and drill it out after. I wouldn't mess around and get it stress free by floating the tang and tip then bed.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Alright rebedding worked better, barrel is now floating, but the tang is still just touching, need to take care of that. And I stripped the action screw...so much for shooting it this weekend.