Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over on Cabelas.....

One from our good friend Duane Wiebe:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...sp?hierarchyId=10473

And one for the Brno fans:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...sp?hierarchyId=10473

Apologies if yall have already seen them.

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks uwave. I like the clever placement of that backup rear sight. thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does that scope look like it is canted down (forward)?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Does that scope look like it is canted down (forward)?
Peter.

Nope!! dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That illusion was created by the wide angle / short focal length lens used to take that photo.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle appears to be a touch muzzle down in the photo.

I missed that rear sight the first look I took- it is a clever solution.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayton Nelson has been building front bases that have the rear sight on them for years. I bet Lon Paul would think my Simba Rings would look better.

Darrell Ragar

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
If the front bell of that scope isn't touching the barrel, it sure is close. I doubt a piece of paper could be slipped in between or is it just the angle of the photo.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the BRNO, the checkering does not measure up for a $4000.00 rifle. The lines are wondering pretty bad on some areas.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
On the BRNO, the checkering does not measure up for a $4000.00 rifle. The lines are wondering pretty bad on some areas.

I don't want to agree because I really like the rifle. But, I do see over runs and the pattern is a little funky. I'd have a hard time pulling out $4k+ for it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G:
If the front bell of that scope isn't touching the barrel,

Think it's one of those scopes with the concave front bell.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, what is so clever about it? Way to far foreward for a peepsight, way to far to the rear for a regular rearsight......?
bewildered

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the best parts are the action and the rare warne premier detachables

7mm08 is a great cartridge, the 21 a great action, the placing of one in the other a crime.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
way to far to the rear for a regular rearsight......?

Bent why is it too far to the rear for a open sight? I don't see the problem. Actually the longer sight radius is better.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of Clayton Nelson's rear sight on a Mdl 70 I saw in his shop last time I was there.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
way to far to the rear for a regular rearsight......?

Bent why is it too far to the rear for a open sight? I don't see the problem. Actually the longer sight radius is better.

Yes, longer sight radius - or the distance between the sights, if I read you right - is better for accuracy, in theory. But that is at its best with a diopter close to the eye and a black bullseye on a white board.
In the field, the sight picture gets better when the rear sight is closer to the front sight. I first read about this in John Taylors books, and have found it to be true in real life. Taylor wanted his rear sight almost in the middle of the barrels length, and I have found I prefer the same, - as does my customers, when showed the difference.
When a regular V-shaped rear-sight is placed as far to the rear as showed here, it becomes very fuzzy when ones eye focus on the front sight, resulting in poor accuracy at the best, making quick shots impossible at the worst.

However, eyesight differ, and other might have other experiences.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the field, the sight picture gets better when the rear sight is closer to the front sight. I first read about this in John Taylors books, and have found it to be true in real life.

i'll have to give that a try Bent. I like to experiment anyway.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a thread on rear sight positioning a few months ago. Regardless of eye sight, the closer the rear sight is to a the front sight, the faster the sight picture can be aquired. THe closer the rear sight is to the eyeball, the more precision is possible, but at a cost of longer sight picture aquasition time.

Just my opinion, but I think the rear sight on the front ring is rediculous. I think it looks stupid and really serves no purpose. Same goes for the rear sight on the extended front scope base. This looks even more rediculous. Well, they look equally stupid to me. Totally out of place on a classically styled rifle. In the field you gain no real advantage from having the rear sight there and it just looks gimicky.

The topic of appropriateness of design has come up from tiem to time. This is where a gunmaker just has to be born with it. You can learn some basic rules of art as to what is and is not appropriate, but it all comes down to how you feel when you look at it. Any time you try to be "cute", you can rest assured it will not be appropriate on a classic rifle. Do what you want on an avant guarde piece, but stay classic on a classic

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, they look equally stupid to me.

I hope I get the opportunity to use this in a sentence in the near future. Big Grin It doesn't even need to be gun related.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote