New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 25 cal. Barrel Maker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to purchase a barrel for my 25/284 build. I have generally used Lilja in the past but all of those rifles were 7mm cal. or larger. Wasn't sure of how good Lilja's smaller caliber barrels are as compared to Krieger or Brux. Looking for opinions from shooters with a 25 cal. barrel from any of the three listed manufacturers. How well do they shoot? How easy do they clean up? Wait time and cost? Would you recommend the manufacturer you chose or not? Why or why not?

I'm looking at a 1-10" twist, fluted, in a #4 Lilja contour.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of good barrel makers. Lilja is as good as any for smaller calibers. I know Olympic shooters(personally) who rebarrel Anschutz .22 LR Smallbore Rifles exclusively with Lilja when the Anschutz barrel goes south. Lothar Walther makes good small ones as well. Wilson Arms makes a darn good 25 caliber 1:10 if you can ever find one. They are so busy supplying AR-15 and M1 Garand barrels (match grade and service) to the various manufacturers that they hardly offer blanks anymore.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What airgun said.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
My personal hunting rifle is a 25/284 and the barrel is Douglas premium XX. It always shoots under an inch.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a confirmed 25 caliber nut, and have shot out barrels from Schneider, Lilja, Hart, Krieger and Lawton. Have put a serious hurt on a Rock and a Douglas.

Of the bunch, I have owned more Schneider barrels than any of the others, and believe that Gary makes the best 25 caliber barrel I have shot. They seem to be very un-fussy about loads, clean up easily and last a very long time. Mike Rock's tubes are a close second. both makes seemed to shoot everything well, with their favorite loads being outstanding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
twenty years ago I bought a Lilja 25 caliber barrel and had a gunsmith named Steve Kostanich build my wildcat 257 Banshee. 6,5x68S, ackleyized and necked down to 25 caliber. 110gr Folwer VLD that Simonson and I designed and he built the dies for at 4000fps.
It would shoot in the .3's at a hundred yards.
I have probably owned more than a dozen of Dan's barrels, and all were match grade for accuracy.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote