New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk bullets
 Login/Join

<Mauser416>
posted
I've heard several cases of accidents involving Hawk bullets. Todd's recent accident and use of Hawk bullets raises concerns for me, again. I have some .416/400 gr. RN that I originally purchased to use in my .416 Taylor. I haven't used them because of these concerns. Are there any definite combinations to avoid? Should I give up on using Hawks for this application?

Thanks,
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hawk bullets in my 416 Taylor with no problems. In the case of Todds accident I'm sure there is more to it than a bullet problem.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The Hawk is a very soft jacketed, pure lead cored bullet. I use them for shooters in my .500. I have seen very wide velocity spreads bullet to bullet leading me to believe interesting things are happening in the bore. Same loads different bullet return more uniform velocities. Go figure.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
I have shot over 20 hogs with various calibers and my 416 Taylor with 400 gr. Hawk bullets shed their cores on 3 out of 5 hits. They were out of the same box so it could be coincidence, however I gave them to a friend to use in seasoning his new rifle.
lb404

<Mauser416>
posted
Thanks for the input. I'm going to give them a try.

The Taylor's popularity seems to be growing. It would be nice to see it offered from one of the big ammo companies.

Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a stuck case in the chamber of my 585 nyati this weekend when shooting a Hawk bullet over a fairly light load. Makes me worried.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote