Find
Notify
Tools

Good Steel Coating?....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Thinking of coating one of my gloss blued rifles with something. I tried a cheap bake on type paint once and it wasn't very durable. I've painted rifle stocks and entire shotguns before(Turkey guns), but don't feel paint would be very durable for this little project.

I've read about several diff coatings over the years, just wondering if any of you have had any luck with a durable coating that can be applied by the DIYer.

I also thought about having it dipped(hydrographics) in a grey carbon fiber pattern. Saw pics of a complete rifle done that way and it was different, but quite nice looking.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Just had a thought. What about having it powder coated? I've had many truck and atv accessories that were PCd over the years and it seemed to be a very durable finish. Could it be done to firearm parts?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells CeraKote to individuals these day's. I tried and had pretty good luck with it. I'm sure it'll scratch and chip like most of the others but I've heard a lot of people say it's about the toughest thing they've found so far.

Here's the one I did. I used this Chinese MAK-90 for a learning tool. I figured if it didn't work out I would just spray it down with some BBQ grill paint and call it done. Roll Eyes I think it turned out pretty good though. I'm going to do a Ruger 77 MKII next that Toomany Tools (John Farner) did for me earlier this year.

Keep this in mind though. It don't matter what they call it, it's all just paint. Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Is that Dichronda in your flower bed?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I don't know animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well what do you want it to look like and what's the coating criteria your looking for ?.

http://www.metcoat.com/epoxy2.htm

http://corsicacoatings.com/CC_Custom_Firearm_Coating.

http://www.commpowder.com/page...20arms%20coating.htm

Then there is metal spray in various forms and finishes . Not for the DIY crowd though .

Powder coating isn't a DIY either I forget that because I do it myself !.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It "aint all just paint". I use some ceramics that go over 2000 f. Get a Ceramic gun coating from one of the availabe sources. No I don't coat guns, at least not any other than my own.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Terry, that looks pretty good to me.

I'm not looking for anything fancy and don;t want to break the bank, this is an older gloss blue 700. I may just rebarrel it with a bead blasted stainless pipe one day anyway, but for now it shoots too good to justify a change. Just want something that doesn't shine.

I'm fixing to drop it into a HS stock and wanted to give it alittle make over before doing so.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's good for certain applications. it's about $40 from Brownells. I had to make my own oven because the barrel on the next one I want to do is 27 1/2" long. I used a hot plate and some double walled vent pipe with a BBQ thermometer on top. You sandblast the steel, degrease it, heat it up to 250degr and spray the cerakote on. Then you cook it again at 250deg for about 2 1/2 hours and call it done.

It didn't mean to step on any toes here, but here's the deal. The stuff goes on like paint, looks like paint and will probably wear like paint. Good paint but still paint. I can call it coating if you really want me to.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several friends of mine in Ruston have had guns coated in a camo pattern. The place that does it is in either Quitman or Jonsboro, so it is not too far if you want to drive it down there. I have not seen them in person, but from what I am told they have held up fairly well over a few seasons of continuous use.

My buddy said it is some sort of film that transfers th eexact cammo pattern. The guy also does truck and 4 wheeler parts. WEll, he will do anything that fits in his apparatus.

I had a rifle doen with GunKote and will not have another one done with it. It wears quickly from the metal edges. The stuff sticks to my carbon fiber stock.

BUT...the barrel channel of this very expensive stock continues to shrink inward. Every year i have to pull the metalwork and rescrape the edges

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carbon fiber stock shrinking inward ??. Perhaps an inexpensive carbon fiber look a like inferior stock !.

Mind elaborating on who's stock this is ?. Having dealt in carbon composites for more years than I care

to mention , I have difficulty understanding a shrinkage factor associated with it .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah Marc, I know the place you are talking about. My inlaws live in Quitman and are friends with the owner.

I may have the barrel alone dipped in a carbon fiber pattern and leave the action blued.

If I decide to coat it myself, I'll probably try the Ceracote product. It has pretty good reviews on Midway.

Reloader