New
Find
Notify
Tools

zulu conversion?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
well i bought a zulu converted rifle of gunbroker the owner had no idea what it was converted to any body know anything about these and what they might be converted to i believe this on is french

zulu 1

zulu

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I will take a shot at this, remember though, this info is from memories of over 35 years ago.
I believe they were in a 577 caliber black powder cartridge. I believe the overall length may be the same as a 50-70 Govt. round. The 577 caliber was used to match the original 58 caliber Enfield rifles they were made from.
There was an article in a early 1970's issue of GUNWORLD magazine. It talked about a hunter using one to take a cape buffalo.
I didn't look, but Cartridges of the World may have more information.
The general consensus, as far as my memory goes, is that they were not safe to fire even with moderate black powder loads.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Zulu was a convertrd French army rifle with a "Snyder Breech". The Army rifle had a
woden plug inserted in the fight side of the butt . Later they were made from scratch.
The ones I have seen are 12 guage, I have never seen a rifle. For a full description see
DeHass. I have never heard that they were unsafe, but they are now 125 or so years old.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote