New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best gun for 300 h&h project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wish to take a 300 h&h and bore it out to approx. a 300 why. My dad did this in 1954 and I still have the rifle but he was an old violator and the gun weighs 14 lbs, and I do not wish to restock it. He used a 1917 action. I have his dies and brass and want to shoot his shells in a gun I can carry in memory and honor of him. I would like to start out with a complete rifle and pay someone to make it happen. Any ideas? I miss my dad.
Optik

Posts: 116 | Location: Bay City, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
1917 enfields are still available and a .300 weatherby can be built on them yet....and they can weigh about 7-8 pounds and will shoot very well.

Find one made by winchester or Remington and hire someone to build you a .300 Weatherby. It won't be cheap but you can get what you want.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Look areound for a pre64 M70 in .300h&h, scope it & go hunting. The other option is to take any of the long actioned M70 CRF & rebarrel to .300h&h. A great classic cart.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possiblity is to find a Remington 721 .300 H&H, this was the predecessor of the 700 and came with a 26" barrel, check with your gunsmith to see if there is enough metal around the chamber to open it up to Weatherby. I believe it would be fine. Prices if 721s are quite reasonable and it is an excellent rifle. As-issued M1917s had 26" barrels and have been rechambered from '06 to .300 H&H but I am doubtful about going further to a Weatherby with the original barrel.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are more than a few pre-64 M70 300H&H rifles around that have already (gasp!) been rechambered to 300 Weatherby. They should command a lower price than an unmolested one.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaks to all you guys who responded! Good feedback.
Optik

Posts: 116 | Location: Bay City, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote