New
Find
Notify
Tools

bent barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 22 hornet 10" T/C barrel that is bent.Another guy said to machine a stub-in barrel out of it.Anyone done this or have any info.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
I dont have an answer for your question.
But I would like to know how you ever bent a 10" tc bbl??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ty,A guy had it with him while on his tractor mowing.Yea,it fell off brushhog ran over it bent barrel,sliced corner of muzzle off.He had local gunsmith order new one gunsmith gave me the barrel.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wheel:

You didn't say how badly the barrel was bent, so I will assume it is visually bent? Keep in mind that when a tube bends, the outside of the radius of the bend is exposed to stress (tension) far beyond the center of the bend. The inside of the radius is exposed to compression also beyond the center of the bend. Since the barrel is only 10" long, I don't think you'd have much of a barrel left if you removed all the material effected by the tension and compression. I wouldn't chance it.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wheelgun,

On one of the other forums, I recall someone recommending that you cut the barrel off in front of the lug and thread it for another barrel. I have a couple barrels like this and it does work.

One problem though. When the blade hit the barrel, it may have cracked the weld at the lug/barrel junction.

IMO, if cutting the barrel an inch or so in front of the dovetail lock doesn't give you a straight tube, then I wouldn't use it.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beaumont, tx | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Oldmodel70>
posted
Wheelgun, find someone with a press, and some Vee blocks, and straighten that barrel. It won't know the difference when you shoot it, and neither will you........

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My sentiments exactly.

It may take a little while fiddling with, but a patient man can do some suprising stuff if he takes his time. Make a jig with a dial indicator, and either cut some copper pipe or use some lead sheets to keep from marking the barrel in the blocks.

Worse case scenario is it won't shoot, then you can do whatever else you planned. It does sound like it needs to be recrowned though.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Send it back to Thompson/Center with a complaint that their stuff doesn't stand up to farm conditions.

Their reply should be interesting.....

<JBelk>
posted
Use dye penetrant on the lug area and if its sound cut the barrel just ahead of the pivot pin point and use the butt end for a mono-block. It's been done many times without a problem.

You can straighten a barrel that was *made* crooked but can't straighten a bent one. The bore is oval at the bend and will never again be round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replys guys.I dont think you could straighten the tube,laying flat on table the muzzle is .150 off table.i will have to cut of 5 1/2" to get past bend.I will try threading for another barrel when i get time.I am supervisor at a local machine shop and this will be a nice home project.I did email T/C last week just for the heck of it,no reply yet...

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Machine shop should be able to get it close to straight. But when they are through, slug the bore. Watch for tight spots near the bend,

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote