Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight stock for CZ550
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tez338
posted
Seems it's going to be a bit of a choir getting an Ultralight(strong) stock for my CZ 550 in 9.3x62.

Thought this would of been an easy fix,as I was champing at the bit for a McMillan Edge.Which has everything I desire.
I emailed McMillan,this is what they said.
Mind you they are very helpful & respond super quick to emails.

"The Hunters Edge technology is designed and intended for building light weight mountain rifles in light weight mountain rifle calibers of .300 mag and down. It will not stand up to the big bores and we will not do it for anything above the medium .338’s. Also, the AHR stock has a very narrow fore-end and will only take the factory barrel contours of the 30-06 size. We have never had a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 in here to check, but I believe the barrel is a bit bigger than the standard caliber size. So, until the day comes when a CZ in this caliber comes thru our shop we are not able to do any stocks for this caliber. Some time next year we are going to re-do this stock design and put a more standard size fore-end on it so the rifles with slightly larger barrels and bigger custom barrels will fit into it".

Need help please bewildered .

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated Confused .

At the moment this rifle weigh's 3.4kg or 7.48lbs.
Want to bring this down to 3kg or 6.6lbs,which will be easy with the stock I want.
Plus some other changes.

Cheers,
Tez Smiler .

K.I.S.S.

Posts: 76 | Location: Victoria-Australia | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tez338
posted Hide Post
Still no closer Roll Eyes .

K.I.S.S.

Posts: 76 | Location: Victoria-Australia | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Tez,

You had better hurry up and get that McMillan AHR stock before they change it. I like the slim forend and a CZ 9.3 should drop right in. The one AHR I got weighs 2.15 lbs. which is probably all you could hope for, approximately the same weight as the original wood hogback stock. It is not one pound but what are you going to do about it? Smiler

McMillan also refused to make a lightweight stock for me.

If it was me I'd get your smith to make the 9.3 barrel into a featherweight profile where lots of weight could be saved. Of course it wouldn't fit the stock.

I'm glad you gave me the tip about the AHR stock. I'd better order one before it is too late.

Good luck.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I do have a fix for this but you have to have the balls to stand up to your mistake if the Edge stock breaks or cracks, and not go whining to McMillan. So I'd better keep it to myself. Cool

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tez338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I do have a fix for this but you have to have the balls to stand up to your mistake if the Edge stock breaks or cracks, and not go whining to McMillan. So I'd better keep it to myself. Cool

Go-on tell Eeker .

K.I.S.S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell them its for a 30-06 when they ask what cartridge your rifle is chambered for.

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tez338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Tez,

You had better hurry up and get that McMillan AHR stock before they change it. I like the slim forend and a CZ 9.3 should drop right in. The one AHR I got weighs 2.15 lbs. which is probably all you could hope for, approximately the same weight as the original wood hogback stock. It is not one pound but what are you going to do about it? Smiler

McMillan also refused to make a lightweight stock for me.

If it was me I'd get your smith to make the 9.3 barrel into a featherweight profile where lots of weight could be saved. Of course it wouldn't fit the stock.

I'm glad you gave me the tip about the AHR stock. I'd better order one before it is too late.

Good luck.

I would think it weigh's less than my original hogsback Roll Eyes ?.Not worth getting one other wise.Will weigh it & see.

Can the barrel channel on the Edge be sanded out?

Smiler

K.I.S.S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur with Will on the weight not being that much different---seems there was a post or two about Rimrock stocks(I think that's the name)--probably need to do a search for it--I'll see if I can find it---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do a search for Rimrock --you need to call them vs sending an email though---here's a link to one of the threads when I just did the search---

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=384100444#384100444

I'm going to talk to them next year for one of my CZ's--then I can compare it to the McMillan on my 375H&H---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tez338
posted Hide Post
Just weighed my hogsback,=.950kg or 2.09lb.

McMillan Edge,=.644kg or 1.41lb.

Stardard CZ McMillan,= McMillan Quote weight's="2 and 2.25lbs or .90kg to 1.02kg".

The Edge stock makes it worthwhile when every gram counts.

K.I.S.S.