New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag on a VZ24 Mauser action???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talked to a smith at the Tulsa gunshow this weekend about building a big bore on a Siamese Mauser, he said he could build a 458 win mag on a VZ24 action......I never heard of that before......is it a possibility??

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sure can.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Absolutely impossible!

In reality it will most likely be little more than a barrel change and opening up of the bolt face and extractor. I once built a 458 Win Mag on a VZ24 and that was all I had to do as I recall. The VZ24 is a very good platform to build on since it is alloy steel and not the case hardened stuff.

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 04-08-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I have seen quite a bit of this smith's work and it is nice but he usually doesn't build big bore stuff. He said he could build the rifle with a Shilen CM barrel, a Timney trigger & safety, a Butler Creek synthetic stock, matte blued and D&T for scope mounts for $500 including the action..... sounds like a relativly inexpensive big bore??

[This message has been edited by GonHuntin (edited 04-08-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have one here, just like the one your dreaming of. It's also built on a VZ-24 action and shilen CM barrel. One thing to consider is have your Smith add on a removable muzzel break. A 458 like you describe won't weigh much and will kick like hell. Mine weighs about 7 1/2 lbs and the recoil will really wake you up! I built it for hunting in Africa where I might have to carry it all day long. Figured I'd put up with the Kick. Make sure it feeds properly and doesn't hang up. -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder,

I got a better idea, tell your ph to put his fingers in his ears...works for me and I never have to tell them twice.

If more folks used muzzle brakes while hunting Buffalo then PH's like Mark Sullivan wouldn't be shooten their Buffalo for them....

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 7 1/2 pound 458 will really get your attention.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my .458 WinMag on a 98 action. It has a Douglas barrel, PME rear sight, and NECG front. It also sports a two-panel checkered bolt handle.

It's very light (too light) and definitely rattles your teeth with full-house loads.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This would just be a "fun" gun......the idea started when "yukon delta" bought a 450 Alaskan on a siamese mauser action. I shot it last friday and I'm hooked! Since 450 alaskan dies are very expensive, the smith suggested chambering to 458 and loading down. Going with the 458 would allow the use of cheap dies instead of the high dollar 450 alaskan set. Instead of buying 348 cases and doing all the work to get to 450, I could just buy 458 cases ready to go. If I do this, I want to have it built along the same lines as his 450: 18-20" heavy barrel, peep sight and a really good recoil pad! I'd probably add weight to the stock so the finished rifle would weigh around 10 pounds. The biggest concern is the stock design, his 450 has a very straight stock and the synthetic stock the smith recommended has more drop???? How will the Butler Creek synthetic compare with the straight wood stock regarding recoil???? Will the Butler Creek stock live through the recoil of the 458???

[This message has been edited by GonHuntin (edited 04-08-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ray- Most of my Ph's have been so deaf I doubt they can tell when the gun goes off.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote