New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gentry safety?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone installed the three position safety for a 96 small ring Mauser that Gentry makes? If so what was involved?
I have contacted Gentry but have not received an answer from them and I really wanted to hear from someone that has used one.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've not installed one either and am in the same boat as you. I contacted Gentry awhile back and they said they would not produce them until after the first of the year, I've been e-mailing since the first with no response and if I wasn't so damn busy with my work I'd be on the horn to get one coming. My gunsmith tells me he likes the Gentry safeties and sees no difference in installing them over any others. My project (96 mauser) is on hold until I have the Gentry safety so I'm on the edge of my seat!
Rolland what kind of project are you building?
I'm not trying to sidetrack or hijack your thread I just love the M96's and am dying to get mine built and love hearing about everyone elses M96 project.
Mine is a Husky with a solid left side ( no thumb cut) will have the Gentry 3 position, I have a Timney trigger on it, cock on open kit, new bolt handle, filed the magazine stop to close on an empty magazine, Pac Nor .257 Roberts top of the line barrel and I can't wait till it is done! I will re use the old Husky stock for now until I have a good peice of wood lined up. In the meantime I'll just re-shape the old stock with a Schnabel fore end and go with it.
Sorry to ramble like I did!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just call them on the phone in the morning. I have no idea how many times I have called them and have always gotten a live person on the other end. It is much more efficient for many people to do things over the phone as opposed to email. I am just guessing here, but imagine that is the case with Gentry.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom
I am building a 6.5x55 in a light weight rifle. I am doing all the work myself, reshaped the rear bridge, installed a hinged floorplate and reshaped the trigger guard. Reforged/reshaped and checkered the bolt handle. I will put it in a full lenght stock with a 20 inch barrel. I have not got to the trigger or safety yet, thats why my post.
Most all my work has been with the 98 this is the first 96.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I would add here, Ed Lapour's version of that same safety. I have heard of QC problems with the Gentry but, can't speak from personal experience.

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can! Do a search on this and you would be surprised to learn how bad they are. They are a bear to fit and Ed LaPour's are a dream. I sent the only two I ever worked on back to Gentry. If he says he won't be producing any until after the first of the year I think he is stalling because he knows he has problems.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from Ed LaPour he will be in production next month so it looks like I'm in business.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I talked to Gentry yesterday and they too will be producing next month as well.
I did a search some time ago about Gentry's quality and I saw that some had trouble with them and some really liked them?
My gunsmith told me to get a Gentry as he likes them and has had no trouble installing them. Goes to show you to each his own.
I also talked to the guy that sold his tooling to Ed LaPour (can't remember names this morning)and he has one for sale but I passed on it because I have a M98 with a Gentry and I wanted the M96 safety to be a match, guess I'll wait till mid Feb. and get mine from Gentry. In my limited experience with Gentry they seem like nice people and seems to care about what they are producing.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I had Gentry put one of his 3 position safetys on my LH 35 Mauser 35 Whelen. Great service. Functioned perfectly. Very easy people to deal with. I have another LH mauser in the works now. I am having my gunsmith, Gary Stiles, put the same type of Gentry safety on that action. I talked to him about all the "hype" on these sites regarding the Gentry safety being hard to put on & make function correctly. He said he has used them many times, & has never had am issue with them. He likes them just fine. So I will have Gary Install this one.

I guess it comes down to the talent of the smith doing the work. Some can do it...and other just can't. Easier to blame the component than yourself.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote