THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding the year a gun was manufactured?
 Login/Join

posted
I saw a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it. I thought it was here but could be wrong.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Fort Woth TEXAS | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to have the make and model of the gun you are looking to find out about. Some are available, some are not. Most Colt and S%W handguns are easy to find. You can call Ruger and I believe they will give you a date of manufacture. Some Winchester's are avaialable, but not the pre-64 Winchester M-70's (I tried that one!). I was able to get a letter on an Ithaca I have, and have seen dates of manufacture on Browning's (several models), Savage, Remington, and most U.S. military arms from Trapdoor Springfields to present. Anyway, a little internet search time and you should be able to find most major brands. The obscure ones, custom made or defunct companies are a bit of a crap shoot as to what you will find.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the "gun" happens to be a rifle, and if the manufacturer happens to be Sako, this might help you:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatab...dmodelsNumbering.pdf

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congomike, there are several excellent books with the DOM on pre 64 M70 rifles.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote