THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Trigger Won't Fit In FN Mauser. Help And Advice Needed.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Won't Fit In FN Mauser. Help And Advice Needed.
 Login/Join

<Savage 99>
posted
I am trying to fit a better trigger into an 1949 vintage FN sporter. The action is the standard commercial one as far as I can tell. I called Timney and ordered the trigger they suggested and #F M 98 FN came from Midway. It's the "Featherweight" model without the safety.

The problem is that the trigger itself where you put your finger is swept back so far that the triggerguard itself would have to be cut and then the length of pull would lose a half inch at least.

I am going to call Midway in the morning and return this item.

Could someone suggest another brand that might fit?

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture? I dont understand either, it should work unless they sent you the wrong one, in the wrong package.

<Savage 99>
posted
Sorry I can't post or even send a pic. The trigger housing seems as if it will fit the action just fine and the sear lines up with the cocking piece also.

Picture the curved part of a trigger where your finger goes. This part, in the new trigger, is so swept back and has such a deep curve to it that it would hit the rear of the inside of the trigger guard.

Right now this rifle has what seems to be the orginal single stage Mauser type trigger which of course takes all of the load of the firing pin spring on the sear.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Savage99,

Special fitting is sometimes called for when installing aftermarket triggers. I've lost track of how many trigger guards I've had to machine, both in width and length, to get some of the aftermarket triggers working. For whatever reason, seems like the Timney models are more prone to needing this type work than others.

Good luck,

Malm

<Savage 99>
posted
Thanks Malm,

That's going too far for me and anyway then the LOP would be short and in particular to the pistol grip which is hard to deal with.

This rifle is an enigma. It has excessive headspace (.005" over the no go gage)in this 270 Win. so I am using 280 Rem brass. Some handy man drilled the rear bridge so far to the right that only with a special Weaver style base would it line up again. But the base was made too far to the left!

I thought I would be a good owner for this beauty and I found that Millet Angle Lock rings corrected the windage problem.

This rifle will shoot the first two shots into one hole at 100 yds and so far it stays sighted in. This gun is very close to being a real rifemans game getter if one does mind a 9.3 pound gun. It needs a trigger really bad as the current one has some creep and it's 4.25 lbs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty common thing with Timney triggers and Mauser guards. You have to open up the back of the guard a bit for the trigger to clear. You might try a Bold trigger. I haven't used enough of them to say if they would have the same problem or not...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99, you said you have a 98FN trigger and I think they are intentionally swept back. Try using a model 98K trigger. They're the same except the contour.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Thanks all for the help, it's much appreciated.

I tried the trigger in the rifle with just the trigger guard screwed to the action. I do not want to cut into this fine old stock unless I am really going thru with a specific trigger.

The trigger itself hits the bottom of the inside of the trigger guard! It's way back also but it will fire from this position.

I called Timney just now and they confirm what was offered above and now I am supposed to have the "K" model which is pn 202 and not 201 which they told me before.

Timney offered to exchange the trigger direct and I am going to do that.

[Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have installed Blackburn triggers on both an original FN Supreme as well as a simialr vintage Husqvarna built on an FN without a hitch. All steel and very nice. Besides Mr. Blackburn was an absolute joy to talk with. Assume he's still making them.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote